It’s almost like a bonus – 3 blocks this month! And it’s lucky number 7, so let’s get right to it – block #7 in the MooglyCAL2017!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
First a quick summary and some important links:
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! Work at your own pace. To learn more about the yarn used for this CAL and other details CLICK HERE!
- The blocks will stay free online forever. Each post will have links to all past block posts as well as the newest block.
- Each 12″ square is designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a US-J, 6.0 mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size. Get creative with color and make it your own!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators! It’s a great place to go if you need more help with a particular design!
The 2017 Moogly CAL Schedule
(click the link to go to that square!)
January 5 – Fantastic!; January 19 – Danyel’s Square
February 2 – Crumpets and Tea; February 16 – Crossed Square
March 2 – All Aflutter; March 16 – Vintage Garden; March 30- THIS POST
April 13; April 27
May 11; May 25
June 8; June 22
July 6; July 20
August 3; August 17; August 31
September 14; September 28
October 12; October 26
November 9; November 22
Block #7: Beach Ball Square by Stitches N Scraps (link below)
Above is the original, made in 5 colors. Below, you can see my version, made with 6 colors!
- This pattern is free – go to http://stitchesnscraps.com/free-pattern-beach-ball-square/ for the pattern – to print or download for free, open a new tab to PrintFriendly.com and enter the pattern URL there.
- This pattern is easy and fun to crochet, but be sure to take your time making little bobbins, or rolls of yarn for the different parts of the beach ball – and untangle them as you go!
- I did come up just the tiniest bit short (which is very normal for me), so I bumped up Round 17 to hdc instead of sc, and that got me right to 12″. Everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn how to adjust for size HERE to make sure all your squares are the same size. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- Techniques you can use with this square if you’d like, and tutorials you might find helpful: Magic Circle; Keeping a Magic Circle Closed; Switching Colors; Moss Stitch; Standing Single Crochet; Standing Double Crochet; Chainless Starting Double Crochet; Seamless Join.
- I used a Furls Odyssey hook and Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – For Rnds 1-Ball Edging: Color A: Silver Grey, Color B: Rose Shocking, Color C: Aqua; Rnd 9-11 (Background): Aquamarine; Rnd 12: Radiant Lime; Rnd 13: Aquamarine; Rnd 14: Radiant Lime; Rnd 15 and 16: Aquamarine; Rnd 17: Silver Grey.
- To block this post, I used the wet blocking method and a Chetnanigans BlocksAll Ultra blocking board – CLICK HERE to learn how to block your squares!
Thanks so much for crocheting along with me! I can’t wait to see all the beautiful blankets you crochet this year!