The Moogly Afghan CAL lasts for the first 11 months of the year, so that the last month can be spent joining and edging the final blanket. And believe it or not... we're on month #3 already! Time flies when you're having fun, and I know you're going to have fun making block #5!
First a quick summary and some important links:
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! Work at your own pace. To learn more about the yarn used for this CAL and other details CLICK HERE!
- The blocks will stay free online forever. Each post will have links to all past block posts as well as the newest block.
- Each 12″ square is designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a US-J, 6.0 mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size. Get creative with color and make it your own!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators! It’s a great place to go if you need more help with a particular design!
The 2017 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 5 - Fantastic!; January 19 - Danyel's Square
February 2 - Crumpets and Tea; February 16 - Crossed Square
March 2 - THIS POST; March 16; March 30
April 13; April 27
May 11; May 25
June 8; June 22
July 6; July 20
August 3; August 17; August 31
September 14; September 28
October 12; October 26
November 9; November 22
Block #5: All Aflutter by Oombawka Design(link below)
Above is the original, made in 4 colors. Below, you can see my version, made with 6 colors!
- This pattern is free - CLICK HERE FOR THE PATTERN - to print or download, look for the green Print Friendly button at the very bottom of the post, below the social sharing buttons.
- This pattern was a bit more involved, but super well written and fun to make! Be sure to read the special stitch definitions! Take your time with this one, it's fantastic!
- I did come up just the tiniest bit short (which is very normal for me), so I bumped up Round 12 to hdc instead of sc, and that got me right to 12". Everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn how to adjust for size HERE to make sure all your squares are the same size. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- Techniques you can use with this square if you'd like, and tutorials you might find helpful: Magic Circle; Keeping a Magic Circle Closed; Treble Stitch; Standing Double Crochet; Chainless Starting Double Crochet; Seamless Join.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – Rnd 1: Rose Shocking; Rnd 2: Lemon; Rnd 3: Rose Shocking; Rnd 4: Radiant Lime; Rnd 5: Aquamarine; Rnd 6: Radiant Lime; Rnd 7: Aquamarine; Rnd 8: Aqua; Rnd 9: Rose Shocking; Rnd 10: Aqua; Rnd 11: Lemon; Rnd 12: Aqua; Rnd 13: Rose Shocking; Rnd 14: Radiant Lime; Rnd 15: Silver Grey.
- To block this post, I used the wet blocking method and a Chetnanigans BlocksAll Ultra blocking board - CLICK HERE to learn how to block your squares!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me! I can't wait to see all the beautiful blankets you crochet this year!
Get Moogly on your favorite social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, G+, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr! Thank you to Lion Brand Yarn for providing the yarn for this Crochet Along.
Lieza A Kiel
Please check directions for round 7 (in block #5). I think they're missing a repeat of (6 hdc in the back bar, sl st in ch1 sp) on each side. The stitch count summary is correct, but adding up the stitches in the directions comes up 4 sl st & 24 hdc short.
I'll pass this on to the designer, thank you Lieza!
Green print/pdf button is not responsive. Please help 😀
Yet another beautiful design in this series
Hi Carol! Sorry the button is giving you trouble! You can open a tab to PrintFriendly.com and paste the URL there to create a printable copy! 🙂
So I finally have the time (and extra cash) to get started on the CAL but I can't find where it says how much yarn needed to complete the entire project. (I know I saw it back in January.) If you wouldn't mind posting it again for me I would truly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
It's linked in the very first bullet point above, and at https://www.mooglyblog.com/mooglycal-2017/ 😀 Welcome!
LOVE this block!