I know many of you have been very eagerly awaiting this square... so let's get to it! Here's square #2 for the 2017 Moogly Crochet Along!
First a quick summary and some important links:
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! Work at your own pace. To learn more about the yarn used for this CAL and other details CLICK HERE!
- The blocks will stay free online forever. Each post will have links to all past block posts as well as the newest block.
- Each 12″ square is designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a US-J, 6.0 mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size. Get creative with color and make it your own!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators! It’s a great place to go if you need more help with a particular design!
The 2017 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 5 - Fantastic!; January 19 - THIS POST
February 2; February 16
March 2; March 16; March 30
April 13; April 27
May 11; May 25
June 8; June 22
July 6; July 20
August 3; August 17; August 31
September 14; September 28
October 12; October 26
November 9; November 22
Block #2: Danyel's Square by Salena Baca Designs (link below)
Above is Salena's original, made in 4 colors. Below, you can see my version, made with 6 colors!
- This pattern is free - CLICK HERE FOR THE PATTERN - to print a free copy for personal use, open a second tab to PrintFriendly.com and paste the pattern URL there.
- When I made this pattern, I lost track of the instructions, and ended up making Rounds 7 and 8 with the popcorn stitches instead of flat. But you know what, I like it! So I went with it! So that's one change you can make if you like.
- I'm not sure if it was my "extra" popcorns, but I did come up a bit short, so I added an Extra Round of hdc sts, working a hdc into each dc st, and working (sc, ch 2 sc) in each corner. Everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn how to adjust for size HERE to make sure all your squares are the same size. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- Techniques you can use with this square: Magic Circle; Keeping a Magic Circle Closed; Popcorn Stitches; Standing Double Crochet; Seamless Join.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – Rnd 1-2: Rose Shocking; Rnd 3-4: Lemon; Rnd 5-6: Radiant Lime; Rnd 7-8: Aquamarine; Rnd 9-10: Aqua; Extra Rnd: Silver Grey.
- Due to traveling, I didn't get a chance to block this square before this post, but I will be using the wet blocking method to make it nice and square - CLICK HERE to learn more about this!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me! I can't wait to see all the beautiful blankets you crochet this year!