Block #15 – almost 2/3 done! Even if you haven’t gotten started yet, there’s still time to join in, as blocks work up fast! If this is the first you’ve heard of the 2015 Moogly Afghan CAL, please CLICK HERE to read how it works! In summary, every 2 weeks I’ll share a new free 12″ crochet block pattern, and we’ll all make them together. All the patterns will be free all year long, and we’ll get to visit a variety of fantastic crochet blogs along the way!
Once again, I’d like to thank Elke Wellens who is providing Dutch translations to all the designers – if you speak Dutch, check out the Dutch speaking Moogly CAL Facebook group! And a big thank you to allatti2d, Angela2011, HelenJE, and Patricia-R-S, who are moderating the Ravelry group for the 2015 Moogly CAL! Click either of those links to check the groups out! The Ravelry group is a BIG source of help if you need it!
The post for each of the blocks will go live here on Moogly at 10am Central time on their specified date. Click the links in the schedule to catch up on past blocks!
The 2015 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 8 – Tamara’s Kismet Square
January 22 – Starburst Square
February 5 – Windmill Square
February 19 – Family Square
March 5 – Unbroken Hearts
March 19 – Solstice Sun Rising
April 2 – Pinwheel Afghan Square
April 16 – Springtime Lily Pond Square
April 30 – Spring Burst
May 14 – Whimsical Penelope’s Merry Go Round
May 28 – Never Ending Wildflower
June 11 – Criss Cross Applesauce
June 25 – Granny’s Shining Star
July 9 – Tamara 12″ Square
July 23 – THIS POST
August 6 & 20
September 3 & 17
October 1 & 15 & 29
November 12 & 25
Above is the original, made in 5 colors, so fun! Happy Birthday to the designer, Jenny – and to the translator Elke!! Such a great month for this square. Here’s the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print the pattern for free, go to PrintFriendly.com and use the pattern URL to create a printable copy. Please note that the pattern is one two, tabbed pages.
- This pattern is very well written, and easy to follow. And there are lots of photos to help you out! I did do the “cherries” a little differently – I used just a single strand, making it easier to hide in back, and I sewed around the stitch 6 times to create nice bold pops of color. I also omitted the optional center applique because I wanted to square to look the same from every side.
- My square was coming out too big! So I dropped Rounds 14 and 15, and ended with Round 13 as written. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnd 1-3: Eggplant; Rnd 4: Kelly Green; Rnd 5: Aqua; Rnd 6: Eggplant; Rnd 7-8: White; Rnd 9: Eggplant; Rnd 10: Mustard; Rnd 11: Raspberry; Rnd 12: Eggplant; Rnd 13: White; Cherries: Raspberry and Aqua as shown.
- If this one isn’t to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE, and another, newer list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!