Turn it up to 11! Almost half way there! But there's still time to join in, as blocks work up fast! If this is the first you've heard of the 2015 Moogly Afghan CAL, please CLICK HERE to read how it works! In summary, every 2 weeks I'll share a new free 12" crochet block pattern, and we'll all make them together. All the patterns will be free all year long, and we'll get to visit a variety of fantastic crochet blogs along the way!
Once again, I'd like to thank Elke Wellens who is providing Dutch translations to all the designers - if you speak Dutch, check out the Dutch speaking Moogly CAL Facebook group! And a big thank you to allatti2d, Angela2011, HelenJE, and Patricia-R-S, who are moderating the Ravelry group for the 2015 Moogly CAL! Click either of those links to check the groups out! The Ravelry group is a BIG source of help if you need it!
The post for each of the blocks will go live here on Moogly at 10am Central time on their specified date. Click the links in the schedule to catch up on past blocks!
The 2015 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 8 - Tamara's Kismet Square
January 22 - Starburst Square
February 5 - Windmill Square
February 19 - Family Square
March 5 - Unbroken Hearts
March 19 - Solstice Sun Rising
April 2 - Pinwheel Afghan Square
April 16 - Springtime Lily Pond Square
April 30 - Spring Burst
May 14 - Whimsical Penelope’s Merry Go Round
May 28 - THIS POST
June 11 & 25
July 9 & 23
August 6 & 20
September 3 & 17
October 1 & 15 & 29
November 12 & 25
Above is the original, made in 2 colors! This square is a big 3D floral that steals the show! Here's the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print the pattern for free, go to PrintFriendly.com and enter the URL of the pattern page to create a printable and downloadable copy.
- The "background" stitches here make this a particularly easy square to get to 12" with - you can add or subtract as needed without changing the look of the pattern!
- One thing I found helpful was to join to the FLO when slip stitching at the end of Rounds 1-4, when the next row is to be worked in the FLO. It just made it a bit easier to find the Back Loops in the next round after that.
- I came up just a tiny bit short of 12", so I made an extra round (Round 11) in hdc, following the same pattern as the previous rows. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnd 1-2: Eggplant; Rnd 3: Aqua; Rnd 4: Kelly Green; Rnd 5-6: Mustard; Rnd 7-8: Raspberry; Rnd 9: Eggplant; Rnd 10: Aqua; (added) Rnd 11: White.
- If this one isn't to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE.
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!