Time for lucky Block #13! We're officially on the downhill path, with only 11 more to go, but there's still time to join in, as blocks work up fast! If this is the first you've heard of the 2015 Moogly Afghan CAL, please CLICK HERE to read how it works! In summary, every 2 weeks I'll share a new free 12" crochet block pattern, and we'll all make them together. All the patterns will be free all year long, and we'll get to visit a variety of fantastic crochet blogs along the way!
Once again, I'd like to thank Elke Wellens who is providing Dutch translations to all the designers - if you speak Dutch, check out the Dutch speaking Moogly CAL Facebook group! And a big thank you to allatti2d, Angela2011, HelenJE, and Patricia-R-S, who are moderating the Ravelry group for the 2015 Moogly CAL! Click either of those links to check the groups out! The Ravelry group is a BIG source of help if you need it!
The post for each of the blocks will go live here on Moogly at 10am Central time on their specified date. Click the links in the schedule to catch up on past blocks!
The 2015 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 8 - Tamara's Kismet Square
January 22 - Starburst Square
February 5 - Windmill Square
February 19 - Family Square
March 5 - Unbroken Hearts
March 19 - Solstice Sun Rising
April 2 - Pinwheel Afghan Square
April 16 - Springtime Lily Pond Square
April 30 - Spring Burst
May 14 - Whimsical Penelope’s Merry Go Round
May 28 - Never Ending Wildflower
June 11 - Criss Cross Applesauce
June 25 - THIS POST
July 9 & 23
August 6 & 20
September 3 & 17
October 1 & 15 & 29
November 12 & 25
Above is the original, made in 3 bright and fun colors! I love the bold look of it. Here's the one I made, using all 6 of my colors - almost dry, but still on the blocking board:
Now for my notes!
- To print the pattern for free, look for the Print Friendly button at the bottom of the pattern!
- This pattern is very well written, and easy to follow. If you get confused by long sets of instructions, remember that once you have the first side made, you just do the same thing on the other 3 sides!
- I came up short of 12" again - I am a tight crocheter! So I added a Round 12.5 - another round of 3 sets of dcs, worked into the center dc of each set in the previous round. Then I bumped up Rnd 13 to dc and Rnd 14 to hdc, and that did the trick. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnd 1-4: Eggplant; Rnd 5-7: Aqua; Rnd 8-9: Kelly Green; Rnd 10-11: Mustard; Rnd 12 (and 12.5, added by me): Raspberry; Rnd 13-14: White.
- If this one isn't to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE, and another, newer list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!