On to Block 4- we're well and truly into it now, but it's not to late to start either! If this is the first you've heard of the 2015 Moogly Afghan CAL, please CLICK HERE to read how it works! In summary, every 2 weeks I'll share a new free 12" crochet block pattern, and we'll all make them together. All the patterns will be free all year long, and we'll get to visit a variety of fantastic crochet blogs along the way!
Once again, I'd like to thank Elke Wellens who is providing Dutch translations to all the designers - she's even got a Dutch speaking Moogly CAL Facebook group going! And a big thank you to allatti2d, Angela2011, HelenJE, and Patricia-R-S, who are moderating the Ravelry group for the 2015 Moogly CAL! Click either of those links to check the groups out! I can't speak Dutch, but I know the Ravelry group is a BIG source of help if you need it!
The post for each of the blocks will go live here on Moogly at 10am Central time on their specified date. Click the links in the schedule to catch up on past blocks!
The 2015 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 8 - Tamara's Kismet Square
January 22 - Starburst Square
February 5 - Windmill Square
February 19 - THIS POST
March 5 & 19
April 2 & 16 & 30
May 14 & 28
June 11 & 25
July 9 & 23
August 6 & 20
September 3 & 17
October 1 & 15 & 29
November 12 & 25
Above is the original, made with 1 color and again with 4 colors. This square had a bunch of novel moves to hold your interest, and an amazing edge! Here's the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- Video tutorials that might help with this pattern are (click to watch): Magic Circle and Increasing with Post Stitches.
- My square ended up being 12" blocked, but it seems like it want to shrink up a bit, so I'll re-measure before joining and may end up adding a row of sc. Be sure to measure as you go, as everyone's gauge is different! Because the edging of this square is so unusual, you'll want to measure after Round 10, at which point the square should be about 10" on each side, maybe a touch bigger. Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12" is measured across and up and down - not diagonally corner to corner.
- I really want to emphasize that blocking this square is SUPER important. I did a simple wet block for now, I will probably steam block it after it's joined in the final blanket.
- In Rnd 2, it's easy to miss stitches - make sure you have 24 sts total at the end of this round! The edging might seem intimidating, but there are lots of photos to help and it's easier than you'd think.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnds 1-2 White; Rnd 3 Eggplant; Rnd 4 Aqua; Rnd 5 White; Rnd 6 Kelly Green; Rnd 7 Mustard; Rnd 8 White; Rnd 9 Raspberry; Rnd 10 Eggplant; Remaining Rows/Edging White.
- If this one isn't to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE.
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!