We’ve counted all the way to 10! Almost half way there! But there’s still time to join in, as blocks work up fast! If this is the first you’ve heard of the 2015 Moogly Afghan CAL, please CLICK HERE to read how it works! In summary, every 2 weeks I’ll share a new free 12″ crochet block pattern, and we’ll all make them together. All the patterns will be free all year long, and we’ll get to visit a variety of fantastic crochet blogs along the way!
Once again, I’d like to thank Elke Wellens who is providing Dutch translations to all the designers – if you speak Dutch, check out the Dutch speaking Moogly CAL Facebook group! And a big thank you to allatti2d, Angela2011, HelenJE, and Patricia-R-S, who are moderating the Ravelry group for the 2015 Moogly CAL! Click either of those links to check the groups out! The Ravelry group is a BIG source of help if you need it!
The post for each of the blocks will go live here on Moogly at 10am Central time on their specified date. Click the links in the schedule to catch up on past blocks!
The 2015 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 8 – Tamara’s Kismet Square
January 22 – Starburst Square
February 5 – Windmill Square
February 19 – Family Square
March 5 – Unbroken Hearts
March 19 – Solstice Sun Rising
April 2 – Pinwheel Afghan Square
April 16 – Springtime Lily Pond Square
April 30 – Spring Burst
May 14 – THIS POST
June 11 & 25
July 9 & 23
August 6 & 20
September 3 & 17
October 1 & 15 & 29
November 12 & 25
Above is the original, made in 5 colors! This square is a big bold floral with some innovative stitching! Here’s the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print the pattern for free, go to PrintFriendly.com and enter the URL of the pattern page to create a printable and downloadable copy.
- The “background” stitches here are a fun variation on the single crochet – similar to the Center Double Crochet I posted about earlier this year! And the great thing is, you can keep adding or subtract as needed to get to 12″ – easy peasy.
- I had my color scheme planned out, but came up a bit short of 12″, so I made Round 12 in dc instead of hdc, and added an extra row of regular dc as well. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnd 1: White; Rnd 2-3: Raspberry; Rnd 4: Mustard; Rnd 5: Kelly Green; Rnd 6: Aqua; Rnd 7: Eggplant; Rnd 8: Raspberry; Rnd 9: Mustard; Rnd 10: Kelly Green; Rnd 11: Aqua; Rnd 12: Eggplant; Rnd 13: White; Rnd 14 (added): White.
- If this one isn’t to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE.
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!