My friend Becky at Grammy Dirlam introduced me to a fantastic take on the standard double crochet stitch – the Center Double Crochet! It’s an easy variation that has some big effects, and this is how it’s done!
Center Double Crochet Video Tutorial – Right Handed
Center Double Crochet Video Tutorial – Left Handed
In this video I used my Furls Fiberarts US – I, 5.5mm hook, and some worsted weight kitchen cotton, but of course this stitch can be made with any yarn and hook!
For a photo tutorial for this stitch, please do check out Grammy Dirlam. Becky may have learned this stitch years ago from her grandmother, but she’s got a great up to date photo tutorial for the Center Double Crochet, as well as some lovely patterns to use it in!
Some of the differences I noted between Double Crochet and Center Double Crochet:
- Center Double Crochet is much more vertical – the stitches are stacked directly on top of each other, rather than offset like normal double crochet.
- The seam when working Center Double Crochet in the round is therefore nice and straight – love that! But you need to be sure to slip stitch into that center space as well to avoid large gaps.
- The fabric made in Center Double Crochet is a little bit less stretchy than regular double crochet fabric, as well as a little bit thicker, as you’re crocheting over 3 strands of yarn instead of 2 strands.
- The Center Double Crochet stitch is a little bit shorter than a standard double crochet, so that will affect gauge if you’re making a substitution.
- The Chainless Starting Double Crochet is a perfect partner to the Center Double Crochet, creating beautiful, even fabric!
I want to say a big thank you to Becky of Grammy Dirlam for introducing me to the Center Double Crochet, and allowing me to share it with all of you in a video tutorial! I hope you’ve enjoyed learning about this fun stitch, and give it a try in a project of your own! I know I love having it in my crochet tool box!
Get Moogly on your favorite social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, G+, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr, and sign up for the free Newsletter so you don’t miss a thing!
Cant get access to video’s
for center double of crochet
Hi Jennifer! They’re on youtube too if that’s easier: https://www.youtube.com/user/mooglyblog
I have to tell you how much I love your tutorials and how helpful they have been. I just started crocheting again after about a 30 year break. I went from beginner to intermediate so quickly, in large part thanks to you. Everybody at my mom’s nursing home got gifts this year! Now if I can just master that starting double crochet…..☺️
😀 Thank you so very much Cynthia!
Thank you for the left-handed tutorials. So nice to not have to flip it around in my head!(: I love this double crochet and look forward to trying it out. Thanks for a lovely and helpful blog.
A Lefty Hooker(:
Thanks so much Kimberly! 😀 I’m glad we finally have enough computing power to add them!
This is so neat! It’s always exciting to learn a new stitch – I can’t wait to try it out!
😀 Thanks Connie!
I am going to be working on a tapestry crochet blanket. The lady at the store where I bought my yarn recommended your website. I got to say I love the two center stiches you have for single and double crochet and I like the way they line up. This is what I need for the image I’ll be working with. Looking at the stitches though, the center single crochet might be too short of a stitch and the center double might be too tall.
Is there such thing as a center half double crochet stitch, or do you think I can apply the same technique to a half double crochet stitch?
Hi Nada! I think you could use the same technique with hdc for sure! 🙂