What what what? It's the penultimate block for 2016! Where DID the year go?? I'm so glad and grateful to all of you who crochet along with me this year - and 2017 is already in the works! I've got a great mix of old and new designers lined up, and it's going to be so much fun! But in the meantime, it's still 2016, so without further ado... here's block #23 in the 2016 Moogly Afghan Crochet Along!
Did you find this CAL too late to do it "live"? That's okay! Theses posts will be here for a long time to come. Here's the scoop on what's going on:
- No need to sign up/officially join - just jump in and start crocheting! Work at your own pace.
- The blocks will stay free online forever. See the schedule below for all the past block links.
- I link to the designer's pattern below, share a photo of my version of their block, and give any helpful notes that are appropriate.
- Each 12" square is designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a 5.5mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10" in size.
- French translation PDFs are provided on each designer's site, courtesy of Véronique HoRaive! Merci Véronique!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE - all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators! It's a great place to go if you need more help with a particular design!
The 2016 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 7 - Flame Square
January 21 - 3D Flower Granny Square
February 4 - Winter Bloom Afghan Square
February 18 - Cathedral Window Square
March 3 - Persphone's Garden
March 17 - Penelope's Skipping Stones
March 31 - Felicity Square
April 14 - May Flowers
April 28 - Vanna's Square
May 12 - Zinnia 12" Square
May 26 - Squared Ripples
June 9 - English Garden
June 23 - Southern Summertime Square
July 7 - Wishing Well 12" Square
July 21 - Rising Sun 12" Square
August 4 - Joyful Afghan Square
August 18 - Popcorn Lace 12" Square
September 1 - Lotus Flower Mandala Square
September 15 - The Trail Square
September 29 - Festival of Fall Square
October 13 - Fans 'n' Lace Square
October 27 - Contours Square
November 10 - THIS POST
Block #23: Caterpillar Square by Kara Gunza on Petals to Picots: CLICK HERE to go to the pattern page but first, read my notes below! Here's Kara's square:
And here's the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print this pattern or create a downloadable PDF, look for the grey Print button at the top of the pattern.
- This pattern is a great unisex square, and the instructions are clear, as well as intuitive!
- The square did turn out a bit small for me, so I added 4 extra rounds before the final round, repeating Rounds 11 - 14, and that got me to 12". But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – Rnd 1: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 2-3: Denim Mist; Rnd 4-5: Rose Mist; Rnd 6-7: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 8-9: Purple Mist; Rnd 10-11: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 12-13: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 14 and extra Rnd 1: Denim Mist; extra Rnd 2-3: Rose Mist; extra Rnd 4: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 15: Pearl Mist.
- If this one isn't to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!