Like sands through the hourglass… so are the blocks of the yearly Moogly CAL! Time for block #17!
For those that are new to the Moogly Afghan CALs, here’s how it works!
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! If you come in late, you can start where we are and catch up with missed blocks as we go!
- A new block crochet pattern will be shared here on Moogly every 2 weeks, on Thursdays at 10am CST (the last one will be one day early due to American Thanksgiving). There is a schedule below, and the links will be added throughout the year. These will stay free online forever.
- I will link to the designer’s pattern below, share a photo of my version of their block, and give any helpful notes that are appropriate.
- Each 12″ square will be designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a 5.5mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size.
- French translation PDFs will also be provided on each designer’s site, courtesy of Véronique HoRaive! Merci Véronique!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators!
The 2016 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 7 – Flame Square
January 21 – 3D Flower Granny Square
February 4 – Winter Bloom Afghan Square
February 18 – Cathedral Window Square
March 3 – Persphone’s Garden
March 17 – Penelope’s Skipping Stones
March 31 – Felicity Square
April 14 – May Flowers
April 28 – Vanna’s Square
May 12 – Zinnia 12″ Square
May 26 – Squared Ripples
June 9 – English Garden
June 23 – Southern Summertime Square
July 7 – Wishing Well 12″ Square
July 21 – Rising Sun 12″ Square
August 4 – Joyful Afghan Square
August 18 – THIS POST
Block #17: Popcorn Lace 12″ Afghan Square by Rhelena on CrochetN’Crafts: CLICK HERE to go to the pattern page but first, read my notes below! Here’s Rhelena’s gorgeous square:
And here’s the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print this pattern or create a downloadable PDF, look for the green Print Friendly button at the bottom of the pattern post.
- This pattern was fun and interesting to make, and written really well – with lots of notes up front to help you!
- My square was coming out just a little bit small, so I changed Rnds 11 and 12 to dc – that brought me to 12″. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – Rnd 1: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 2: Rose Mist; Rnd 3: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 4: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 5: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 6: Rose Mist; Rnd 7 and 8: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 9: Denim Mist; Rnd 10: Purple Mist; Rnd 11: Denim Mist; and Rnd 12: Pearl Mist.
- If this one isn’t to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!
As always, Tamara, I love the blocks in your CAL, and I hope you continue to do this forever! Next year, I’d like to see your beautiful color selections in less of a muted palette. You have such a good eye for color! Pearl
Thank you so much Pearl! I used bright colors the last 2 years, so this year I decided to mix it up a bit. I’m sure I’ll be back to brights in 2017! 😀
Not happy with no pdf. It has options of printing or e-mail.
You can use the Print Friendly site to create a downloadable version. 🙂 PrintFriendly.com
I am trying to use print friendly. Google chrome has an app that you can use which sits on the top of the browser and it is PrintFriendly & PDF. Only print and e-mail come up for options.
Yes, that does happen with the Chrome app, but if you go to PrintFriendly.com in another tab and enter the pattern URL there, you will get the PDF option. 🙂
Tamara, I will try it that way. Have done that before when using Windows. I have used the Chrome app perfectly fine on other sites. I thought that maybe the web site dictates the options. Thanks!
They might have it blocked somehow, but the other tab seems to be working as a work-around! 🙂
Tamara, that did work using the web site itself PrintFriendly.com. Will have to remember that for future use. Thanks so much!
I’m so glad! Thank you Bonnie!