Kicking off the May blocks, we have a gorgeous floral square - the May Flower is here! Here's block #10!
For those that are new to the Moogly Afghan CALs, here's how it works!
- No need to sign up/officially join - just jump in and start crocheting! If you come in late, you can start where we are and catch up with missed blocks as we go!
- A new block crochet pattern will be shared here on Moogly every 2 weeks, on Thursdays at 10am CST (the last one will be one day early due to American Thanksgiving). There is a schedule below, and the links will be added throughout the year. These will stay free online forever.
- I will link to the designer's pattern below, share a photo of my version of their block, and give any helpful notes that are appropriate.
- Each 12" square will be designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a 5.5mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10" in size.
- French translation PDFs will also be provided on each designer's site, courtesy of Véronique HoRaive! Merci Véronique!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE - all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators!
The 2016 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 7 - Flame Square
January 21 - 3D Flower Granny Square
February 4 - Winter Bloom Afghan Square
February 18 - Cathedral Window Square
March 3 - Persphone's Garden
March 17 - Penelope's Skipping Stones
March 31 - Felicity Square
April 14 - May Flowers
April 28 - Vanna's Square
May 12 - THIS POST
Block #10: Zinnia 12" Square by Little Monkeys Crochet: CLICK HERE to go to the pattern page but first, read my notes below!
Above is Rebecca's square, in 4 colors! Here's the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print this pattern or create a downloadable PDF, go to PrintFriendly.com and enter the URL there.
- This pattern is fun to make! It's well written and has lots of room to get creative with your colors. There is also a photo tutorial to help if needed!
- My square was coming out just a bit small, so I added one round of dc - that brought me to 12". But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnds 1 and 2: Rose Mist; Rnds 3 and 4: Tangerine Mist; Rnds 5 and 6: Seaspray Mist; Rnds 7 and 8: Denim Mist; Rnds 9 and 10: Purple Mist; Rnd 11 and Extra Rnd: Pearl Mist.
- If this one isn't to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!
Need crochet patterns for luggage tags and other give aways for gifts. Love to give my projects as gifts. Thank you
Hi Carol! I have a pattern for a tag called Tag It, as well as lots of other giftable free patterns here on Moogly - CLICK HERE to see them all! 🙂
Hi! Just wanted to let you know how much I look forward to the next block release twice each month! Amazing how many squares I have accumulated already! Thanks again! 🙂
😀 Thank you so much Rebecca! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!
having trouble printing the 2016 block. when I enter the url an error comes up. Can you help, Thank You Isabel
Hi Isabel! Be sure to copy and paste the entire URL into the box on the Print Friendly page. Otherwise, it might just have been on the fritz, it seems to be working now! 🙂
Hello. I have joined in your CAL this week. Being new to crochet I am not sure yet whether the patterns are in UK or US terms. Does someone have a list which I could use so that I know what I am doing I feel a bit lost at the minute but can't wait to get cracking.
Hello Janette! They are in US terms. There's a list of all the past squares right in the middle of this post! 🙂 If you meant a list of US/UK terms, you can find one here: http://www.yarnfwd.com/crochet.html
I am loving the CAL. I got a bit behind, but am catching up. I just finished the Zinnia square. I think it is my favorite so far!
i'm so glad to hear it lisa!