The 2016 Moogly Afghan Crochet Along is officially an adult! Time for block #18!
For those that are new to the Moogly Afghan CALs, here’s how it works!
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! If you come in late, you can start where we are and catch up with missed blocks as we go!
- A new block crochet pattern will be shared here on Moogly every 2 weeks, on Thursdays at 10am CST (the last one will be one day early due to American Thanksgiving). There is a schedule below, and the links will be added throughout the year. These will stay free online forever.
- I will link to the designer’s pattern below, share a photo of my version of their block, and give any helpful notes that are appropriate.
- Each 12″ square will be designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a 5.5mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size.
- French translation PDFs will also be provided on each designer’s site, courtesy of Véronique HoRaive! Merci Véronique!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators!
The 2016 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 7 – Flame Square
January 21 – 3D Flower Granny Square
February 4 – Winter Bloom Afghan Square
February 18 – Cathedral Window Square
March 3 – Persphone’s Garden
March 17 – Penelope’s Skipping Stones
March 31 – Felicity Square
April 14 – May Flowers
April 28 – Vanna’s Square
May 12 – Zinnia 12″ Square
May 26 – Squared Ripples
June 9 – English Garden
June 23 – Southern Summertime Square
July 7 – Wishing Well 12″ Square
July 21 – Rising Sun 12″ Square
August 4 – Joyful Afghan Square
August 18 – Popcorn Lace 12″ Square
September 1 – THIS POST
Block #18: Lotus Flower Mandala Square by Dorianna Rivelli on The Lavender Chair: CLICK HERE to go to the pattern page but first, read my notes below! Here’s Dorianna’s lovely square:
And here’s the one I made, using all 6 of my colors:
Now for my notes!
- To print this pattern or create a downloadable PDF, look for the green Print Friendly button at the bottom of the pattern post – you’ll need to copy the URL of the pattern before you click the button on this site.
- This pattern was fun and very VERY textural! I helped tech edit this one, so mine is a little different from the final pattern, but it’s all ready to go!
- My square was coming out just a little bit small, so I added a round of hdc before the final round – that brought me to 12″. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – Rnd 1: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 2: Pearl Mist; Rnd 3: Rose Mist; Rnd 4: Pearl Mist; Rnd 5: Denim Mist; Rnd 6: Rose Mist; Rnd 7: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 8: Purple Mist; Rnd 9: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 10: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 11: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 12: Denim Mist; Rnd 13: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 14: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 15: Seaspray Mist; Extra Rnd: Purple Mist; Rnd 16: Pearl Mist.
- If this one isn’t to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!