Welcome to the Third Annual Afghan Crochet-Along here on Moogly! Every year it gets a little bit better, and I’m so excited to spend 2016 CAL-ing with you!
For those that are new to the Moogly Afghan CALs, here’s how it works!
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! If you come in late, you can start where we are and catch up with missed blocks as we go!
- A new block crochet pattern will be shared here on Moogly every 2 weeks, on Thursdays at 10am CST (the last one will be one day early due to American Thanksgiving). There is a schedule below, and the links will be added throughout the year. These will stay free online forever.
- I will link to the designer’s pattern, share a photo of my version of their block, and give any helpful notes that are appropriate.
- Each 12″ square will be designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a 5.5mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size.
- French translation PDFs will also be provided on each designer’s site, courtesy of Véronique HoRaive! Merci Véronique!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators!
The 2016 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 7 – THIS POST
Now for my notes!
- To print this pattern or create a downloadable PDF, enter the pattern page URL into PrintFriendly.com. You can also cut and paste it into a word document.
- Be sure to read through the special stitch instructions at the beginning of the pattern. This pattern is fun, and very easy if you are familiar with post stitches!
- My square was coming out a little bit small, so I made the last round dc instead of sc, and added an extra round of hdc, and then it came out at 12″. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color order was as follows: Rnd 1-2: Pearl Mist; Rnd 3: Rose Mist; Rnd 4-5: Tangerine Mist; Rnd 6-8: Seaspray Mist; Rnd 9-10: Denim Mist; Rnd 11-12: Purple Mist; Rnd 13-14 (plus extra rnd): Pearl Mist.
- If this one isn’t to your taste, you can find a list of alternatives HERE!
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me!