Woohoo!! It’s time to kick off the 2017 Afghan Crochet Along here on Moogly! We’ll be making 24 12″ x 12″ squares, with a new square released every 2 weeks, now through November. So let’s get started!
First a quick summary and some important links:
- No need to sign up/officially join – just jump in and start crocheting! Work at your own pace.
- The blocks will stay free online forever. Each post will have links to all past block posts as well as the newest block.
- Each 12″ square is designed in worsted/aran weight yarn, with a US-J, 6.0 mm hook. If you choose a different yarn weight/hook size, your blocks will be a different size, but as long as you are consistent, then the blocks should be too! For example, with DK weight yarn, you should get blocks that are about 10″ in size. Get creative with color and make it your own!
- There is a Ravelry group for the CAL HERE, and a Facebook group HERE – all full of help and camaraderie! Thank you to all of the amazing volunteer moderators! It’s a great place to go if you need more help with a particular design!
The 2017 Moogly CAL Schedule
January 5 – THIS POST; January 19
February 2; February 16
March 2; March 16; March 30
April 13; April 27
May 11; May 25
June 8; June 22
July 6; July 20
August 3; August 17; August 31
September 14; September 28
October 12; October 26
November 9; November 22
Above is Julie’s original, made in 4 colors. Below, you can see my version, made with 6 colors!
- This pattern is free – CLICK HERE – use the green Print Friendly button at the bottom of the pattern to print a copy for personal use.
- When I made this pattern, it came to 11″, so I added one extra round of hdc – and that got me to 12″. But everyone is different so be sure to measure as you go! Learn more about adjusting for size HERE. Remember that the 12″ is measured across and up and down – not diagonally corner to corner.
- Techniques you can use with this square: Magic Circle; Keeping a Magic Circle Closed; Standing Double Crochet; Post Stitches; Back Loop Only; Seamless Join; Joining with Single Crochet
- I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and my color scheme was as follows – Rnd 1: Rose Shocking; Rnd 2: Lemon; Rnd 3: Aqua; Rnd 4A: Radiant Lime; Rnd 4B: Aqua; Rnd 5A: Aquamarine; Rnd 5B: Aqua; Rnd 6A: Rose Shocking; Rnd 6B – 8: Aqua; Rnd 9: Lemon; Rnd 10: Radiant Lime: Rnd 11: Aquamarine; Rnd 12: Rose Shocking; Rnd 13: Aquamarine; Extra Rnd: Silver Grey.
Thanks so much for crocheting-along with me! I can’t wait to see all the beautiful blankets you crochet this year!