It’s time, it’s time, for Block #9! It’s May Day, and time to move on in the 2014 Moogly Afghan Crochet-a-Long. If this is the first you’ve heard of the CAL, don’t worry – it lasts til November, so there’s still time to catch up! Start HERE to read how it works, and then get to crocheting! For those who’ve been following along so far, read on!
Here is the CAL schedule, with links to the previous blocks (click on the date to go to that blog post):
January 8th – Anticipation Mystery Square
July 10th and 24th
August 7th and 21st
September 4th and 18th
October 2nd, 16th, and 30th
November 13th and 25th
- In the instructions for the first 3 special stitches, there’s one phrase missing I think – after inserting your hook in the indicated st, pull up a loop, then continue on with the instructions. At least I think so – that’s how I did it anyway. I tried it the other way, as written, but it didn’t work out for me.
- If Round 1 has your head spinning, try starting with a magic circle or ch 4 loop, and then work the cluster and ch-3 combo 4 times into the ring. It will look a little different, but should work.
- The V-Stitch instructions confused many, as normally a V stitch is dc, ch1, dc… but there are lots of variations, and this is a valid one! I did make this stitch just as written in this pattern, and it looked perfect, so I’d recommend you just make it as instructed.
- The “X’s” mean times, as in do it 3 times.
- For Rounds 7-11, follow the pattern previously established in Rounds 5 and 6. Looking at the photo will help you make sure you’re on the right path!
- I got to 11.5″ after only 10 rounds, so for Round 11 I worked the corners as instructed in Round 12 but with sc, then worked a sc in each of the “side” sts and previous corner sts, and worked 2 sc in between the posts of each V st. Got 12″ after that on the nose! Closeup below:
I hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy making the Op-Art Afghan Square! If it isn’t your thing, you can find a list of alternate free squares patterns by clicking HERE. Thanks so much for crocheting-a-long with me!