Welcome to the 2014 Moogly Afghan Crochet-a-Long! I'd been debating doing an afghan square crochet-a-long here on Moogly for a while, and when I did a quick poll on the Moogly Facebook page, the resounding answer was Yes Yes Yes! So let's get started. Read on for details!
The Moogly Afghan Crochet-a-Long FAQ: please read!
- I will be sharing the photos and links to 24 different 12" afghan square patterns. This is enough for a 4' x 6' afghan - a little bigger after you add the joins and border.
- The patterns will all be FREE, from a variety of designers. Please respect copyrights.
- All of the patterns will call for a US-I, 5.5 mm hook and worsted or aran weight yarn - yarn symbol 4. Use the yarn(s) of your choice.
- I will share a new pattern every other Thursday - this means that 2 months will have 3 patterns. See below for the schedule.
- This will also finish up all the blocks in November, leaving the month of December for joining them together.
- I will be making the squares right along with you - we'll do it together!
- There is no form to fill out, no charge to join, no list to be on. The only prize is the satisfaction of making a blanket and the joy of crochet. And bragging rights, because look what you made!
- Worried about missing a square? Sign up for the Moogly Email Newsletter (sign up in the header at the top of the page!) - it includes a link to every post from that week, so you'll be sure to see it.
- Want to share your photos as we go? Try the Moogly Facebook Page!
- Don't like the square I posted that week? Pick a new one! Want to make a bigger blanket? Make 2 of each or add in your own picks! It's up to you - let's keep it fun!
The Square Schedule:
January 8th and 23rd
February 6th and 20th
March 6th and 20th
April 3rd and 17th
May 1st, 15th, and 29th
June 12th and 26th
July 10th and 24th
August 7th and 21st
September 4th and 18th
October 2nd, 16th, and 30th
November 13th and 27th
Now, drumroll please.....
BLOCK #1: Anticipation Mystery Afghan 12" block
(click the name of the square above to go to the download, both US and UK versions included)
What yarn did I choose for this CAL for my own squares? Lion Brand Vanna's choice in Scarlet, White, Fern, and Aqua!
And here's the Anticipation Mystery Square, as made by Moogly:
It was super fun to make, and one of the more challenging squares I've made! This photo shows the square unblocked - there's definitely some blocking to come. I'll be writing up a post about that in the future, when we're a few squares in. I didn't use the Scarlet yarn this time, but it will be making an appearance soon enough. The designer of this square, Margaret MacInnis, tells me she's got an extensive photo tutorial coming for this square too, so stay tuned for that. And stay tuned for our next block, which will be announced January 23rd!