Several things came together to make the Cuddly Cat Crochet Scoodie with Pockets – a reader request, my kids’ love of animals, and the inevitable need for new winter hats! Out of all these came this fun hat/hood-scarf-pockets cat lover’s combo!
Of course, it doesn’t have to be a cat – change the ear style and it can be any animal at all – the colors had me thinking both wolf and Totoro! In an orangey red it would make a great fox too. Your imagination is the only limit!
Cuddly Cat Crochet Scoodie with Pockets
- US – K, 6.5 mm hook
- US – H, 5.0 mm hook
- Main Color: 630 – 945 yds worsted weight yarn (held doubled), OR half that quantity super bulky weight yarn (Caron Simply Soft in Grey Heather shown)
- Contrast Color: 30 yds worsted weight yarn (Bernat Cottontots in White shown)
- Stitch markers or scraps of yarn
- Gauge: 10 dc x 6 rows = 4 inches
- Sizes: The scarf is custom sized for the recipient, made to their arm span or height (plus a couple inches if it’s for a child, so they can grow). The hood is written in two sizes, Child/Tween and Adult. The pattern is written for the Child size with changes for the Adult size in parentheses. When only one number is given, it applies to both sizes.
- For instructions on any stitches or techniques used in this pattern, such as the FDC (foundation double crochet), seamless join, or Magic Circle, please see the Video Tutorials Page.
Scarf: (US – K, 6.5 mm hook) Row 1: Using Main Color yarn held doubled, FDC to recipient’s arm span or height, adding a stitch if necessary to get an odd number. The gauge calls for 10 dc = 4 inches, so for a 5′ 4″ person, FDC 161. The formula is:
(Arm span in inches/4) x 10 = # of FDC If # of FDC = an even number, +1
Turn at the end of each row. Row 2 – 6(7): Ch 2, dc in each stitch to end of row. Break yarn and finish off.
Hood: (US – K, 6.5 mm hook) Find center stitch of scarf and place marker (pm). Counting out from marked stitch, pm on either side at 17(19) sts.
Row 1: Join Main Color (held doubled) with a slip stitch to an outer marked st. (Remove this marker.) Ch 2, dc in each st across, moving center marker up to new center st, ending with a dc in the last marked st. (Remove this marker.) Turn. (35(39) dc)
Row 2: Ch 2, dc in each st to one st before marker, 2 dc in next st, dc in center (pm), 2 dc in next st. Dc in remaining sts to end of hood. Turn. (37(41) dc)
Rows 3 – 8(10): Repeat Row 2. Turn. (49(57) dc in last row)
Row 9(11): Ch 2, dc in each st to two before marker, dc2tog, dc in center (pm), dc2tog, dc in remaining sts. Turn. (47(55) dc)
Rows 10(12) – 15(17): Repeat previous Row instructions. (35(43) dc in last row) Fold hood in half and sl st closed through both sides, leaving very last (center) st unworked. Weave in ends.
Pockets (Make 2, yarn held doubled): (US – K, 6.5 mm hook)
Row 1: Using Main Color (held doubled), FDC 16(18).
Rows 2 – 6(7): Ch 2, dc in each st to end of row. (16(18) dc) Break yarn and finish off. Weave in ends.
Ears (Make 2): (US – H, 5.0 mm hook)The ears are made in two parts each:
- Follow Row 1-9 directions below, using Main Color held doubled. Weave in ends.
- Follow Row 1-9 directions below, using Contrast Color (not doubled). Weave in ends.
Row 2 (WS): Ch 1, sc in each st across. Turn. (8 sc)
Row 3: Ch1, sc2tog, sc in each st until 2 sts remain, sc2tog. Turn. (6 sc)
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each st across. Turn. (6 sc)
Rows 5 – 8: Repeat Rows 3-4 twice. (2 sc in last row)
Row 9: Ch 1, sc2tog. Break yarn and finish off.
Hold the Contrast Color piece in front of the Main Color piece, with RS of Main Color against WS of Contrast Color. Using Main Color held doubled, sc the sides of the ear together, going through both layers. Work 3 sc into the point at the top, and leave the bottom of the ear pieces unjoined. Break yarn and leave a long tail for sewing to the hood.
Paw Print Appliques (Make 2 sets, yarn NOT held doubled):(US – H, 5.0 mm hook)
Each set, or Paw Print, includes 4 identical toes and 1 pad. So for the Cuddly Cat Crochet Scoodie, make 8 toes and 2 pads, using the Contrast Color yarn.
Row 1: Make a Magic Circle and into the ring hdc 2, dc, hdc 2, dc 2, hdc, sc, hdc, dc 2. Join to first hdc with a sl st.
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc into the first st, hdc, 3 dc in the next st, hdc in the next 2 sts, 2 dc in the next 2 sts, hdc in the next st, sc in the next st, hdc in the next st, 2 dc in each of the last 2 sts. Use seamless join to finish off, leaving long tail for sewing.
Assembling the Cuddly Cat Crochet Scoodie with Pockets:
- Sew Paw Print Appliques to pockets.
- Using K hook and Main Color held doubled, sc evenly across the “paw end” of each pocket, as shown below.
- Sew ears to top of hood as shown above or as desired.
- Using K hook and Main Color held doubled, join with a sl st to the RS bottom back of the scarf. Ch 1 and sc evenly around the entire scoodie. As you approach each end of the scarf, match the pocket to the scarf (applique side out, on the RS of the scarf) and sc through both layers, attaching the pockets to the scarf. Work 3 sc in each corner. Break yarn and use seamless join to finish off. Weave in ends.
What do you think? I know I’ve got one happy kid… and two jealous ones! Guess I know what I’ll be working on in my spare time. I hope you and yours like it as much as mine do. I can’t wait to see all the creative things you do with this pattern! As always, please let me know if you find any errors – it’s a free pattern, so you all are my testers! Thanks so much for reading!
Be sure to Like the moogly Facebook page for the latest updates and have some fun with us! Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2012. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please feel free to link to this page to share this pattern with others.