I had so much fun making this wrap this weekend! It's just right for this in between weather. The yarn is warm, but the mesh is cool, and the "wings" in the stitches remind me of all the birds flying south. Here's the free crochet pattern for the Winged Wrap!
Remember when you were a kid, and you drew birds flying like very tired Vs? I know I wasn't the only one! The subtle rows of wings in the Winged Wrap are like a flock of these birds hugging your shoulders, wrapping around your neck, or adding a splash of color to your next outfit! The Winged Wrap makes a wonderful layer, a fantastic gift, and a perfect comfort shawl.
- US - J, 6.0mm hook (Furls Fiberarts used)
- 600 yds Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball (Worsted/”4″/UK: 10 ply; 518 yds/473 m; 5.3 oz)
Colorway used: Calming Desert (2 balls)
- Gauge: 11 sts x 7 rows = 4" in dc (unblocked)
- Finished size: 60" long x 20" wide (after blocking)
- To change the length, chain a mult of 10 +4. To change the width, repeat rows 3-8 as desired.
- For the Winged Wrap Video Tutorial (right & left handed), click here
- For crochet abbreviations and tutorials, click here
- Skip all ch-1 sps unless otherwise indicated (the ch sp is only worked into on repeats of Row 4 and 6).
- If you prefer to make this as a one skein pattern, skip Rows 51 - 56.
- Even rows are on the Right Side, odd rows are on the Wrong Side.
Row 1: Ch 184, skip the 5 chs closest to the hook (count as dc, ch 1, sk 1), dc in next ch, *ch 1, skip 1, dc in next ch; repeat from * to end, turn. (91 dc)
Row 2 and 3: Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1), dc in next dc st, *ch 1, dc in next dc st; repeat from * to end, turn. (91 dc)
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in 1st st, *ch 5, skip 2 dc sts, sl st in next ch-1 sp of row below previous row, ch 5, skip 2 dc sts, sc in next dc st; repeat from * to end, turn. (36 ch-5 loops)
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in 1st st, *[ch 1, then working in front of ch-5 loops, dc in next dc of row below previous row] 4 times, ch 1, sc in next sc st; repeat from * to end, turn. (91 total dc and sc sts)
Row 6: Ch 1, sc in 1st st, *ch 5, skip 2 dc sts, sl st in next ch-1 sp of row below previous row, ch 5, skip 2 dc sts, sc in next sc st; repeat from * to end, turn. (36 ch-5 loops)
Row 7: Repeat Row 5.
Row 8: Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1), dc in next st, *ch 1, dc in next st; repeat from * to end, turn. (91 dc)
Row 9 - 56: Repeat Rows 3 - 8.
Row 57: Repeat Row 3.
Edging: Sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner. Wet block.
And that's the Winged Wrap! I hope you enjoy making it - I can't wait to see your versions! After I started designing this, Lion Brand also came out with Shawl in a Ball that **sparkles**! Oh my gosh! I can't wait to make a Winged Wrap with built in bling!
Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2016, all rights reserved. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please do link to this page to share this pattern with others. To print this pattern for personal use, please use the green Print Friendly button at the bottom of the pattern. If you wish to make items for sale from this pattern, or translate it to another language, please visit the About page for details. Thank you to Lion Brand Yarn for providing the yarn for this pattern!