There’s just something fun about decorating bathrooms. I think it might be the size, combined with the freedom to get a little crazy. After all, it’s just one tiny room – why not make it interesting?! And coming up with stuff for the kids’ bathroom has been a blast. A raindrop shower curtain and blue paint set the theme, and the Little Waves Crochet Rug was the first project to go in there – and now the Little Waves Crochet Towel Applique has joined the party!
Of course, you don’t have to add this applique to a towel – it would be cute on lots of items! Think about using this as edging on fabric curtains! Or on a canvas as part of a 3D art piece! The possibilities are endless.
I do love it on the towel though. This is one of the hand towels for the kids’ bathroom, and it will be perfect to put out for special occasions. A quick and easy way to dress it up and make their room extra special!
Little Waves Crochet Towel Applique
- US – I, 5.5mm hook
- 50 total yds Lion Brand Cotton-Ease (Aran; 207 yards (189 meters); 100 grams (3.53 ounces) per skein) in 3 colors as shown:
Color A Turquoise (20 yds)
Color B Seaspray (20 yds)
Color C White (10 yds)
Octo-Squid-Kraken shown in Lime
- Optional: 16″ wide hand towel, matching thread, sewing needle
- Finished Size: 15″ wide
- Gauge as sewn on: 2″ per pattern repeat (note that you can stretch/squish a bit as you sew it on to make it fit)
- To customize size: multiple of 8, plus 3, plus 2 for the turning chain
- Click for Video Tutorials: CSDC – chainless starting double crochet; fpdc – front post double crochet; STDC – standing double crochet
- Video tutorial for the Little Waves Stitch Pattern and Crochet Symbol Chart HERE!
- Matching Little Waves Rug Pattern
Row 1: With Color A, ch 61, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next ch, *skip 2 chs, (dc 2, ch 1, dc 2) in next ch, skip 2 chs, dc in next 3 chs. Repeat from * to end, turn. (59 sts)
Row 2: Ch 3 (or CSDC), fpdc in next 2 sts, *skip 2 sts, (dc 2, ch 1, dc 2) in ch sp, skip 2 sts, fpdc in next 3 sts. Repeat from * to end, finishing last repeat with dc in last st, turn. Break Color A. (59 sts)
Row 3: With Color B, join with a sl st to first st and ch 3 (or STDC – either choice counts as first st), dc in next 2 sts, *skip 2 sts, (dc 2, ch 1, dc 2) in next st, skip 2 sts, dc in next 3 sts. Repeat from * to end, turn. (59 sts)
Row 4: Repeat Row 2, break Color B.
Row 5: With Color C, repeat Row 3. Break Color C. Weave in ends.
Sew to towel with matching thread, adjusting waves as you go. If you like, you can add the Kraken Octopus Squid Applique – just CLICK HERE for that free pattern! I think it adds a little something special! Or there are lots of fun sea-worthy appliques out there – fish, crabs, lobsters, anchors, sea shells, mermaids, you name it! I can’t wait to see what you all do with this fun pattern!