For the Boot Cuffs I used the same yarn as the cowl, and added some fun wintery buttons! The Ups and Downs Boot Cuffs are a custom fit – so you’ll need to start with a calf measurement for the recipient, measured where the top of the boot hits. I made 14″ boot cuffs sized to fit my 13 year old!
Ups and Downs Boot Cuffs
- US – I, 5.5mm hook (Furls Fiberarts in Cocobolo used)
- Variable amt worsted weight yarn (Crystal Palace Merino 5; 100% Superwash Merino; 110 yds/50 grams; Color 1003 used) – I used 160 yds for 14″ calves
- 2 buttons
- Stitch markers (Clover Lock Ring Markers used)
- tapestry or yarn needle (Susan Bates Finishing Needle used)
- Gauge: 12 sts x 7 rows = 4″ in dc
- Finished Size: see below to create your custom fit!
- For abbreviation key and stitch definitions and tutorials, please visit the Crochet Abbreviations page.
- For braiding tutorial, please visit the Braiding Crochet Loops page.
- For hdc in the 3rd loop tutorial, please visit the Half Double Crochet in the Third Loop page.
Creating a Custom Fit for your Boot Cuffs:
This pattern is worked with literally any even number of stitches. There are no increases or decreases, so every row has the same stitch count. You simply measure around the calf where the top of the boots hit – where you want to wear the cuffs. Take that measurement in inches and multiply it by 3, and round down if needed to get an even whole number – and that is the number of stitches you make in Round 1. For example, for a 14″ calf, I made boot cuffs that were 42 stitches in every row. For a 16.5″ calf, start with 48 sts (rounded down from 49.5 – they have a lot of stretch). If you don’t have the recipient’s calf handy, I found a chart of standard calf measurements online.
Round 1: FDC according to formula above; join to work in the round.
Alternate Round 1: Ch as for desired number of sts plus 2, dc in the 4th ch from the hook, dc in each remaining ch around; join to top of ch 3 to work in the round.
Round 2 – 4: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), dc in each st around, join to 1st st.
Round 5: Ch 1, hdc in each st around; join to 1st st.
Round 6 – 7: Ch 1, hdc in the 3rd loop of each st around; join to 1st st.
Round 8: Ch 6 (counts as quadtr), quadtr in next st and each remaining st around; join to top of ch 6.
Round 9 – 11: Repeat Rounds 5 – 7.
Round 12: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), dc in each st around; join to 1st st.
Round 13 – 14: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), *fpdc, bpdc; repeat from * around. Break yarn and finish off, weave in ends.
Braid loops – sew on a button or use a brooch/pin to secure last loop. See Braiding Tutorial for more info on this technique. I braided the boot cuffs in opposite directions, just like the Fingerless Gloves!
And that’s it for the Ups and Downs set I think… unless you think there’s something missing? Let me know in the comments!
Written pattern and graphics copyright Tamara Kelly 2014. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please do link to this page to share this pattern with others. If you wish to make items for sale from this pattern, please visit the About page for details. To print this pattern please use the Print Friendly button (tutorial here). Thank you to Crystal Palace Yarns for providing the yarn for this pattern!