This is the Happiest Blanket Ever! Or at least the happiest blanket I’ve ever made. It was fun to make, and puts a smile on my face every time I look at it – I hope it does the same for you!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
The Happiest Blanket Ever is great in any size – and there’s a chart with all the sizes below. You can go with just 2 colors, or the rainbow riot of colors shown here – it’s a great stashbuster! And with its easy 2 row repeat can relax you as you crochet. And the border will have you on cloud nine!
Happiest Blanket Ever
- US – K, 6.5mm hook (Furls Fiberarts used)
- 1240 – 8600 yds Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (yarn symbol “4”/Aran; 145 yds; 3oz)
Colors Used: Main Color – White; Color A – Eggplant; Color B – Purple; Color C – Sapphire; Color D – Aqua; Color E – Fern; Color F – Radiant Lime; Color G – Mustard; Color H – Honey; Color I – Rust; Color J – Terracotta; Color K – Scarlet; Color L – Cranberry
- Gauge: 5 pattern repeats x 8 rows = 4″ in pattern
- Helpful tutorials: Happiest Blanket Ever Tutorial; Switching Colors; Shallow bpsc
Happiest Blanket Ever Sizing Chart (all measurements are approximate)
- Baby (40″ x 40″): Ch 154; 81 rows; 50 V sts/odd numbered row; 1240 yds (840 yds main color; 400 yds accent colors)
- Throw (50″ x 66″): Ch 190; 133 rows; 62 V sts/odd numbered row; 2550 yds (1734 yds main color; 816 yds accent colors)
- Twin (66″ x 90″): Ch 250; 181 rows; 82 V sts/odd numbered row; 4600 yds (3120 yds main color; 1480 yds accent colors)
- Queen (90″ x 100″): Ch 340; 201 rows; 112 V sts/odd numbered row; 7000 yds (4760 yds main color; 2240 yds accent colors)
- King/Cal King (110″ x 100″): Ch 415; 201 rows; 137 V sts/odd numbered row; 8600 yds (5840 yds main color; 2760 yds accent colors)
Special Stitch: V st – (dc, ch 1, dc) in indicated stitch
Row 1: With Main Color, ch for size as indicated in chart above, skip 1st 4 ch (counts as dc and skip 1 st), *V st in next ch, skip 2 chs; repeat from * to end, dc in last ch finishing st with Color A, turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in 1st 2 sts, *ch 1, skip ch-1 sp, sc in next 2 sts; repeat from * to end, break yarn, do NOT turn.
Row 3: Insert hook in 1st st made in Row 2, yarn over with Main Color, ch 3 (counts as dc), V st in each ch-1 sp across, dc in last st finishing with next Color; turn.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3, cycling through Colors, ending with a Row 3 repeat (see chart above for Row count).
Round 1: With Main Color, sc evenly around blanket, working 3 sc in each corner. When crocheting along the side edges, ch 1 over the accent colored rows, and work 2 sc in the side of the Main Color Rows; join.
Round 2: Ch 2, dc in each st and ch-1 space around, working 3 dc in each corner; join.
Round 3: Work a repeat of [sc in next st, skip 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, skip 2 sts] around blanket, working [sc, 5 dc, sc) in the 3 sts of each corner; join and break yarn.
Round 4: With accent Color of choice (Aqua shown), shallow bpsc in each st around; join and break yarn. Weave in ends.
And that’s the Happiest Blanket Ever! It’s currently the star of my guest room, sure to make my next overnight guest feel a little cheerier and at home. I can’t wait to see what colors you choose for your own Happiest Blanket Ever! I hope you enjoy this free crochet blanket pattern!
Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2016, all rights reserved. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please do link to this page to share this pattern with others. To print or download, use the Print Friendly button below. If you wish to make items for sale from this pattern, or translate it to another language, please visit the About page for details. Thank you to Lion Brand Yarn for providing the yarn for this pattern!