The All Grown Up Arm Warmers was one of the first crochet patterns I designed – and it inspired the All Grown Up Slouch Hat, and All Grown Up Ear Warmer. All these years later, I started getting requests for a matching cowl – and happily got to rediscover a stitch pattern I really enjoy! Introducing the All Grown Up Cowl!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
The fun thing about this pattern is that it can be made with any multiple of 2 – any even number of stitches. So you can make it with the stitch count provided, make it smaller for a neckwarmer, or make it bigger for a shoulder wrap!
All Grown Up Cowl
- US – I, 5.5 mm hook (Furls Fiberarts hook used)
- 450 yds total Aran or Worsted weight yarn in 2+ colors (Lion Brand Cotton-Ease Aran/10 ply in Turquoise, Seaspray, Lake, Lime, and Snow used)
- Gauge: 8 rows x 13 sts = 4″ in pattern
- Finished Size: 37″ around (18.5″ across laid flat) x 12.5″ tall
- Click for Tutorials: FDC (foundation double crochet); Joining FDC to Work in the Round; Standard Post Stitches; Shallow Post Stitches
– If you do not want to start with FDC, you can ch 126 and dc in the 3rd ch from the hook and each remaining ch to the end.
– My color pattern was A, B, C, D, E, D, C, B, A, but feel free to invent your own!
– Be sure to note that two different types of post stitches are used – where not specified, standard post stitches are used. Tutorials for both are linked above.
Round 1: With first color, FDC 124; join with a sl st to work in the round. (124 sts)
Round 2 – 3: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), *fpdc in next st, bpdc in next st; repeat from * to end, join with sl st in first fpdc; after Round 3 break yarn. (124 sts)
Round 4: With next color, join to any st, ch 2, shallow bpdc in each st; join with sl st in first bpdc. (124 sts)
Round 5 – 6: Ch 2, dc in each st; join with sl st in 1st dc; after last Round break yarn. (124 sts)
Round 7 – 9: Repeat Rounds 4 – 6 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 10 – 12: Repeat Rounds 4 – 6 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 13 – 15: Repeat Rounds 4 – 6 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 16 – 18: Repeat Rounds 4 – 6 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 19 – 21: Repeat Rounds 4 – 6 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 22 – 24: Repeat Rounds 4 – 6 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 25: Repeat Round 4 with next color. (124 sts)
Round 26 – 27: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), *fpdc in next st, bpdc in next st; repeat from * to end, join with sl st in first fpdc; after Round 27 break yarn. (124 sts) Weave in all ends.
I hope you’ve enjoyed the latest addition to the All Grown Up line of free crochet patterns! It’s a simple cowl to crochet, but it’s big and bold and graphic – and cozy warm!
Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2015. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please do link to this page to share this pattern with others. If you wish to make items for sale from this pattern, please visit the About page for details. Thank you to Lion Brand Yarn for providing the yarn for this pattern!