Bulky yarns are hot right now – and the bigger the better! So I combined one skein of Bernat Mega Bulky and some gorgeous fabric from Zazzle to create Stash It – the basket that hangs on the wall, on a doorknob, on a hook… wherever you need to stash it fast!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
Stash It works up super fast, and the big ultra bulky yarn makes a big impact. You can customize the hanging loop(s) to fit your own needs, or use small hooks and hang it right through the crocheted fabric! You can even customize the size of the basket to fit your stuff.
- US – S, 19mm hook
- US – Q, 15mm hook
- 64 yds (1 skein) Bernat Mega Bulky (Super Bulky, 100% acrylic, 10.5oz/300g, in Teal)
- Optional: Fabric (Zazzle custom fabric used), thread, sewing needle
- Gauge: 4 fpdc = 4″
- Finished Size: 10″ wide x 8″ tall
- For stitch abbreviations and tutorials go to the Crochet Abbreviations page
NOTES: To create a custom basket, you can start with any number of chs in Round 1! No worrying about multiples! In the first Round, work across the starting chain and then around and across the bottom of it, creating an oval. For the loop I just tied a long strand across the back, long enough to go over a doorknob or two hooks.
Round 1: With S hook, ch 12, skip the first 2 chs, dc in the remaining 10 chs, dc twice more in the last ch wrapping around to the opposite side of the starting chain, dc in the opposite side of the remaining 9 chs, dc again in the last chain; join to the first dc to work in the round. (22 dc)
Round 2 – 6: Ch 1, fpdc in each st around; join to first fpdc. (22 sts)
Round 7: With Q hook, ch 1, sc in each st around; join to first sc. (22 sts)
Round 8: Repeat Round 7, break yarn and finish off. Use remaining yarn to create loop(s) for hanging.
Fabric Lining Instructions:
- Cut fabric piece 12″ x 21″ (or as needed if custom size).
- Fold in half to create a 12″ x 10.5″ pouch and seam the sides (I used a 6/8″ seam) wrong side out.
- Seam a 1/2″ seam around the top, keeping the pouch wrong side out.
- Insert the fabric pouch into the crochet basket, and fold over the top as shown.
- Hand sew fabric to crochet, using the previous seam as a guide.
I hope you enjoy this fun fast basket pattern! It’s got such a fun shape, and I can see uses for it all around the house! Changing the color and the fabric makes Stash It perfect for any room of the house!
Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2015. Please do not distribute or repost this pattern, but please do link to this page to share this pattern with others. You can print a copy for personal use using the Print Friendly button below. If you wish to make items for sale from this pattern, please visit the About page for details. Thank you to Bernat Yarn and Yarnspirations for providing the yarn for this pattern, and thank you to Zazzle for providing the fabric.