There are several great methods for adding beads to your crochet, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Here’s one method many people like – adding beads with a crochet hook!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
How to Add Beads with a Crochet Hook (Right Handed)
How to Add Beads with a Crochet Hook (Left Handed)
As Seen in this Video (Click for more info!)
- US-J, 6.0mm Furls Fiberarts Hook
- Clover Amour 0.90mm Hook
- Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball
- Bead Biz Silver Lined Crystal Beads 6/0
And for your Pinterest Board:
Here are the basic steps, whenever you are ready to add a bead to your work:
- Pull up the active loop of the yarn a little bit, and remove the crochet hook.
- Put a bead on the small thread hook.
- Insert the thread hook into the active loop of the yarn.
- Pull the yarn through the bead using the thread hook.
- Remove the thread hook from the active loop and reinsert the crochet hook.
- Continue crocheting in pattern.
This method of adding beads has some advantages and disadvantages. The advantages: you don’t have to have an exact bead count before you begin; you don’t run as much risk of fraying or wearing the yarn with running beads up and down it; no tedious pre-stringing (and risk of miscounting!); you can put a bead right where you want it, when you want it; the bead will show best on the right side of the fabric (facing you when you add the bead).
The disadvantages: there is yarn on the outside of the bead, making for a definite right side/wrong side to the fabric; if the beads are very small it can be difficult to find a small enough hook/yarn; you may have to juggle two hooks at once.
Adding beads with a crochet hook is one of my favorite methods – but of course it all depends on the project! I do love the flexibility of this method – I can just jump into the project and figure out bead placement/number as I go.
Have you added beads to your crochet or knitting before? If not, I encourage you to give it a try! It’s so fun to add a little sparkle and bling – and add a little something extra special to your next project!