Textured yarns can add texture and dimension to your crochet and knit projects. But they can be a little tricky to work with. How are you supposed to stitch when you can't see the stitches?! So here are 13 tips for working with textured yarns!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links; materials provided by Yarnspirations.
First, Grab Your Textured Yarns Here:
Then, Get 13 Tips for Working with Textured Yarns Here:
I recorded this video LIVE for a Yarnspirations Facebook Lunch and Learn on September 27, 2023.
How to Work With Textured Yarns
My 13 Tips for Crocheting With Textured Yarns
Here's a summary of the tips we went over in the video!
- Set the Scene: Have bright light and a light-colored background to maximize what you can see.
- Choose the Right Pattern: Be sure to pick a pattern that will be complemented by the yarn - seems easy, but it trips us all up sometimes!
- Consider Gauge: If gauge matters, then be sure to make a gauge swatch - counting stitches is easier when you know exactly how many you've made.
- Use Simple Stitches: Complex patterns like cables will just get lost in most textured yarns.
- Pick Impactful Special Stitches: If you do want stitches like bobbles or popcorns to show up with textured yarn, be sure to go big and bold with them!
- Choose the Right Hook Size: Bumping up will help you see your stitches!
- Use Your Hands: Feel out your stitches, and you'll be able to "sense" where it put your hook.
- Frog with Care: You can still undo your stitches with 99% of textured yarns, but you may have to take your time pulling out each stitch one at a time.
- Blocking Still Matters: Even if you can't see the individual stitches, blocking can help shape up your finished item.
- Practice Patience: Working with textured yarns is usually a bit slower than working with smooth yarns, so be sure to take your time and enjoy the process.
- Plan Your Seams: If you need to seam two textured pieces, be sure to use clips or stitch markers to plan out your seam before you start sewing.
- Add Another Yarn: Holding a smooth yarn along with the textured yarn can help you see your stitches and make it a bit easier.
- If You Can't See It, Neither Can They! Don't sweat the small stuff no one can see! 😉
And here's a Pin for your Crochet Pinterest Board! Make sure you are following Moogly on Pinterest for all the best knit, crochet, and craft pins!
I hope you enjoyed these tips for textured yarns! If this video doesn't answer all your questions, please ask in the comments below - I'm always happy to help!
Get Moogly on your favorite social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and Instagram! And sign up for the free newsletter at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! Thank you to Yarnspirations for providing the materials for this video.