I do love making baby hats, and it feels so good to give them away to those who need them! This little Stripey Baby Beanie was made for the Yarn Heroes 2016, and it makes a fantastic topper for any newbie! Now is the perfect time to get the good feelings from crafting for charity – and this is an inexpensive and quick way to help!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
Stripey Baby Beanie
- US – J, 6.0mm hook (Furls Fiberarts used)
- 70 yds Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (Aran/yarn symbol “4”/UK: 10 ply; 145 yds; 3oz)
Colorways used: ColorA: Aqua; Color B: White
- Optional: Clover Pom Pom Maker – 1-5/8″
- Gauge: 7 sts x 5 rows = 2″ in main st pattern
- Size: Fits most newborns, 12-14″ head circumference
- Measurements: 6″ wide x 6.5″ tall (excluding pom pom ) laid flat
- For helpful video tutorials: fdc (foundation double crochet), foundation sts in the round, gathering crowns
- For other crochet abbreviations and tutorials, click here
Round 1: With Color A, FDC 36, join to work in the round. (36 sts)
Round 2 and 3: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), *fpdc in next st, hdc in next st; repeat from * around, join. (36 sts)
Round 4: With Color B, join in BLO and ch 1, hdc in BLO of each st around; join. (36 sts)
Round 5: Ch 1, hdc in each st around; join. (36 sts)
Round 6 – 11: Repeat Rounds 4 and 5 changing color every 2 rounds.
Round 12: With Color B, repeat Round 4.
Round 13: Ch 1, *hdc2tog, hdc in the next 2 sts; repeat from * around, join and break Color B. (27 sts)
Round 14: With Color A, join in BLO and ch 1, *hdc in the next st, hdc2tog; repeat from * around, join. (18 sts)
Round 15: Ch 1, hdc2tog around, join and break yarn leaving a long tail. (9 sts) Use long tail to gather crown and cinch closed.
Optional: Make pom pom with Color B and sew to top of hat.
And that’s that! I hope you enjoy this pattern, and make a couple to donate as well as for your own little ones!
Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2016, all rights reserved. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please do link to this page to share this pattern with others. To print this pattern for personal use, please use the green Print Friendly button at the bottom of the pattern. If you wish to make items for sale from this pattern, or translate it to another language, please visit the About page for details. Thank you to Lion Brand Yarn for providing the yarn for this pattern!