Lucky number 13! It's certainly lucky in this case, because it's another beautiful square designed by the amazing Julie Yeager! It's perfect for the upcoming 4th of July holiday - but beautiful no matter what country you live in. But before we get all up in this one, if this is the first you've heard of the 2014 Moogly Afghan Crochet-a-Long, then don't worry, there's still time to catch up - just start HERE to read how it works! Everybody else, let's get started!
Need to catch up? Here is the CAL schedule, with links to the previous blocks (click on the date to go to that blog post):
January 8th - Anticipation Mystery Square
July 10th and 24th
August 7th and 21st
September 4th and 18th
October 2nd, 16th, and 30th
November 13th and 25th
BLOCK #13: Spikey Circle Afghan Square by Julie Yeager
(Click the name of the pattern above to go to the Ravelry link for this pattern)
Above is the original, made with 3 colors. With the 4th of July right around the corner, I couldn't resist - it's like fireworks! As always with Ms. Yeager, this pattern is extremely well written. Here's the one I made, using the same colors as the original (but not yet blocked):
- Be sure to read the designer's notes on page 2 - they explain an important difference in how this pattern is worked!
- If you are unfamiliar with Spike Stitches, watch the Moogly video tutorial HERE before you begin this pattern.
- In Round 10, read carefully - the spksc might sneak up on you like it did on me!
- After Round 11, I had 11.25" rather than Julie's 10.5" - so I did sc rounds for the last two rows.
- My color changes were exactly as written in the pattern.
- For other color scheme ideas, be sure to check out the Ravelry gallery attached to the pattern page. So many great combos!