The Modern Rose Afghan features a 6" motif or crochet square that's a lot of fun to make - but has an unusual set of instructions! Spirals can be tricky - so I've created a full video tutorial to demo this fun free crochet pattern!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links.
How to Crochet the Modern Rose Square Motif - Right Handed
How to Crochet the Modern Rose Square Motif - Left Handed
As Seen In This Video (click for more info!)
- US-I, 5.5mm Furls Odyssey Hook
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton (Jade, Ecru, and Lilac shown)
- Clover Lock Ring Stitch Markers
- Modern Rose Afghan Free Pattern
- Chainless Starting Double Crochet Tutorial
- Mattress Stitch Seaming
- Other Basic Stitch Tutorials
The trick to making the Modern Rose Motif is using your stitch markers wisely! They keep your loops from coming undone, and mark your place so you always know you end up where you should. Spirals can be hard to keep track of, but the stitch markers make it so much easier.
Things to remember:
- For Rounds 2-5, you only work into the "other" color stitches, not into the same color stitches.
- When you are working with the Main Color, mark the first stitch of each round, and finish in the last stitch of the Contrast Color from the previous round.
- When you are working with the Contrast Color, you should finish in the stitch right before the stitch marker that marked the first stitch of the Main Color that round.
- The second corner of Round 6 is in the marked stitch - not the one the last slip stitch of Contrast Color is worked into.
- Always start at the top of the post and work to the bottom when adding the 3D spiral.
I hope this helps you successfully crochet the free Modern Rose Afghan pattern! It's so fun and versatile - and you can get two different looks, depending on if you add the 3D spiral or not! Decisions, decisions, eh? I've had a lot of comments that it looks like the vintage chenille bedspreads - how fun is that?!
Thanks for watching! If you have further questions about this pattern, please let me know in the comments!