There are lots of gorgeous free crochet afghan patterns, and though the crochet edging might come last, don’t think that means it isn’t important! While I’m a big fan of simple sc and dc borders for letting busier afghan patterns shine, there are hundreds of beautiful and interesting border and edging patterns that are ready to take center stage and dress up and blanket you make. And of course they’re not just for blankets – you can put a pretty edge on just about anything! So without further ado, here are my favorite 10 free crochet edging patterns – record scratch, this post has been updated to include SIXTEEN free crochet borders!
10 16 Free Crochet Edging Patterns
Click on the names of the patterns you like to go to the pattern pages!
- Pom Pom Edge by Robin Sanchez, on Once Upon A Pink Moon: This is so fun and eye-catching!
- Edging for a Giant Granny by Kimberly Pye, on Kimberblog: A great looking border for any granny blanket!
- Simple Crocheted Bobble Edging Tutorial by Heidi Bears: Adds a lot of pop – and a great way to finish off the Blackberry Salad Striped Baby Blanket!
- Cathedral Edging by Leonie Morgan, on Ravelry: A vintage pattern that looks good as new!
- Lacy Vs and Picots Edging by Amy Solovay, on About.com: Delicate lace for an elegant finishing touch.
- Frilly Ruffled Edge for Any Stitch Multiple by Melissa Mall, on Imagine: Delightfully girly!
- Flutterby Edging by Katandia, on Yarn Crazy Girl Patterns: Sweet little crocheted butterflies all in a row!
- Little Hen Lace by Bigú Osuna, on Crear con hilos blog: How funny is this! I know just who I’d make it for! In Spanish and English.
- Stripy Blanket Edging by Sucrette, on Le monde de Sucrette: Simple and pretty!
- Line of Hearts Crochet Edging by Jay Greengrass, on Ravelry: Perfect for Valentine’s Day cuddling – or a blanket with a little extra love!
- Triangle Crochet Edging on Moogly: I designed this edging myself (and made a video tutorial!), and its spiky little triangles make it great for masculine afghans – and unisex ones too!
- Polka Dot Border on Moogly: Another fab option!
- Popcorn Border on Moogly: Tons of texture on this edging!
- Windows Border on Moogly: Color is peeking back at you!
- Scalloped/Shell Stitch Border on Moogly: A very feminine final touch!
- Every Which Way Crochet Borders #71 by Edie Eckman, on Moogly: A special feature that was a bonus with a giveaway!
Which crochet edging pattern is your favorite? Is there one I missed you think should’ve made the list? Share in the comments!