Recently I got a request for a special roundup - free crochet patterns that use variegated yarns to their best advantage! Searching for variegated yarn patterns can be tricky - they aren't the easiest yarns to use, and it's not a sorting feature on most pattern directories. So I put out a call to my favorite bloggy friends for their best free crochet patterns using variegated yarn. And boy, did they deliver!
12 Free Crochet Patterns Using Variegated Yarn
Click on the names of the patterns you like to go to their pattern pages
- Iris Crochet Top by Kinga Erdem, on My Hobby Is Crochet: This top comes in two sizes - for toddlers, and for children! And the variegated yarn really makes the little shell sts pop! I linked the child size, and the toddler is linked at the top of the child's pattern.
- Crochet Flower Lattice Shawl by Debi Dearest, on Dearest Debi: So pretty, and the variegated yarn gives it a great sense of movement - like a field of wildflowers!
- Spring Fling Picot Trellis Scarf by Sara McFall, on My Merry Messy Life: This is so bright, colorful, and cheerful - and only two ends to weave in! I love it!
- Infinity Scarf by Katy Petersen, on KT and the Squid: This lovely scarf uses the herringbone double crochet to great effect - it really shows off this gorgeous yarn!
- "Little Ribbon" Sun Hat by Maz Kwok, on Be a Crafter xD: So sweet, and perfect for this time of year! Love the idea of using a selection of coordinating ribbons to change it up!
- Crochet Snake Pattern by Sarah Zimmerman, on Repeat Crafter Me: The cutest snake around! ♥ All hugs, no bite!
- Super Chunky Super Easy Super Quick Cowl by Sara Sach, on Posh Pooch Designs: Another fantastic variegated design!
- Dew Drop Wrap by Anabelle Tracy, on I'm Hooked: A gorgeous wrap, and great pattern - and there's a crochet symbol chart too!
- Color Wheel Bag, by Kim Guzman, on Crochet Kim: A long repeat and Tunisian crochet make this bag an interesting and exciting project!
- Puff Stitch Halter Dress by Jessie Rayot, on Jessie At Home: A textured top and twirly skirt make this a variegated pattern that's sure to please!
- Afghan Blanket by Heather Davidson, on Patterns for Crochet: I love how the yarn makes this stitch pattern pop!
- Splash of Spring Crochet Cowl by Tamara Kelly, on Moogly: That's me! This one is my latest, but you'll find some more free patterns that use variegated yarn on the Free Patterns Page!
Chosing a pattern to use with a variegated yarn can be tricky - stitch definition can get lost, and you might want to watch for pooling. Typically, the simpler the stitch the better - but there is a great variety of patterns here that all look fab in variegated yarn! And that's it for today's roundup! As I mentioned above, this roundup of variegated crochet patterns was a reader request - do you have any requests? Let me know!