Once again, a reader request has inspired me! Facebook fan Brittanee asked if I had a pattern roundup of unique afghans… and I realized that that was a topic I hadn’t covered! I don’t know if this is what she was looking for, but I do know that I found some unusual crochet afghan patterns that inspired me, and that I’m excited to share with you – and of course, they’re all free!
10 Free Unusual Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Pinwheel Blanket by Tanya Beliak, a Ravelry download: I love the texture and interest in this hexagon blanket – as well as the step by step tutorial! Great use for yarn scraps too!
- Optical Illusion Afghan by Lois Olson, on Art of Tangle: Everyone, kids to adults, loves optical illusions! This two tone blanket is interesting, and pretty too!
- Flatland Lock by Woolly Thoughts: Patterns from the Woolly Thoughts designers are always graphic and clever – and here’s a rare free one! From the pattern page: “It is based on the Flatland Lock in Leonardo’s Mirror and Other Puzzles by Ivan Moscovich.” The perfect choice for puzzle fans!
- Diamond Blanket by Jellina Verhoeff, on jellina-creations: I love the graphic 3D illusion of this blanket!
- Loch Lomond Afghan by Lion Brand Yarn: A riot of flowers and delicate motifs, worked in subtle colors in a seemingly random but finely controlled configuration? Love this!
- Crochet and Weave Houndstooth Check Plaid Afghan by Maria Merlino, on Yahoo: A crocheted mesh is then woven with yarn to create this bold and classic look! A fun project that will have other crafters saying “how did she do that?!”
- Swirl Blanket by Sonea Delvon, a Ravelry download: An easy circular crochet blanket that’s relaxing to make and looks great too.
- Urchins and Limpets Blanket by Kathy Merrick, on Knitting Daily: I love the movement and pops of color in this blanket!
- Spirals Throw by Marilyn Losee, on Caron International Yarns: Nearly 100 spirals come together to make this gorgeous crochet afghan. The color possibilities are endless!
- The Blanket Has Eyes by Heather Tucker, on Mama’s Stitchery Projects: Simple but so pleasing, I just love this look! Plus the name cracked me up!
So what do you think? Do any of these crochet afghan patterns suit your taste, or do you prefer the classics? Not every afghan is for everybody – and that’s the fun of it! I love seeing all the variety there is out there, and I hope you do too. Share links to your favorite unusual and unique afghan patterns in the comments, and share your thoughts on these patterns too!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.