I was casting about (no pun intended) for an idea of what to blog about today, and decided to ask the moogly facebook fans… and hooded scarves were the answer! Also known as scoodies, it was too much of a coincidence to resist – moogly itself got it’s start on a batch of commissioned scoodies made to look like octopi/squid! The rest is history, but scoodie patterns will always hold a special place in my heart. But enough about me, let’s get on to the free patterns!
- Pixie Scoodie (knit) – With Bulky yarn and a bit of time with the needles, you can be frolicking in the woods and toasty warm! This whimsical and free pattern is on Something with Llamas and Guinea Pigs, and is just too fun.
- Harlequin Hoodie (crochet) – Rainbows, granny stripes, hood plus cowl… there’s a lot to love with this free Ravelry download! For more from this designer, check out her etsy store, The Hat & I!
- Aviator (knit) – Beanie meets scarf in this free Ravelry download, and with great texture and a close fit, it works for 8 – 80 year olds!
- Hooded Scarf (crochet) – Red Heart hosts this free pattern from Erika and Monika Simmons, authors of Double Stitch. Bulky yarn and a simple design makes this a fast project!
- Harper’s Hood (knit) – This pattern comes courtesy of Petite Purls, and it’s perfect for the littlest scoodie fans. In fact, it comes with several finishing options, and they’re all super cute!
- Fully Hooded Custom Scarf (crochet) – Sinduction’s Patterns offers this detailed crochet hooded scarf recipe, giving you step by step instructions to create a truly custom project, using any yarns and hood you choose! Love this!
- Kitty Hood Scarf with Pockets (knit) – This free pattern from Cut Out + Keep makes me smile – so fun! But even if you aren’t into ears on your hats, it’s a great pattern with very clever hidden pocket construction. Love the gallery on the pattern page!
- Pixie Hood Pattern (crochet) – This vintage style pattern was recreated by soon 2B sonju, and she did a great job! It’s simple and clean and fun, and it’s easy to customize too!
- Heelhead Scarf (knit) – This clever scoodie features short rows for smart shaping! Carissa Knits offers lots of fun ideas for customizing it as well.
- Aesthetic Hooded Scarf (crochet) – A lovely stitch pattern makes this crochet scoodie really stand out! Crochet Dreamz offers this free download.
- BONUS UPDATE!! Be sure to check out the latest new free crochet scoodie pattern, right here on moogly! Presenting the Cuddly Cat Crochet Scoodie with Pockets!
There are lots of variations on the hat scarf combo, but I think these 5 knit patterns and 5 crochet scoodie patterns are the best ones available right now – and they’re all free! I’ll admit I have my favorites… which ones do you like best? Is there one I missed? Add it in the comments – the more the merrier!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, sneak peeks, and more! Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and now Tumblr – come join the fun! [email protected]