Crocheters are remarkably generous people. They give their time and talents to friends and loved ones, often just for the joy of seeing a smile on the other person’s face. And there are dozens of charity groups, large and small, that focus on crocheting to help others. Many of those have specific needs and requirements. Today I would like to share some patterns you don’t have to be part of a group to make – but they all promote awareness and activism right in the design! Perfect for fundraisers or just letting someone know they’re loved. A lot of the patterns are pink, but it’s easy to change the color as appropriate. Here are 10 free crochet for a cause patterns! (One warning – one of these patterns contains three quarters of a swear word.)
10 Free Crochet for a Cause Patterns
(click on the name of the pattern, in blue, to go to the pattern page!)
- Autism Awareness Scarf by Issa Garrison, on Kamaa-Nhanda Designs: This Tunisian pattern is amazing and beautiful!
- Breast Cancer Crochet Scarf by Jessica Woofter, a Ravelry download: Filet crochet one in your choice of colors!
- Crochet Ribbon Magic Potholder & Refrigerator Magnet by Donna, on Naztazia: These beautifully designed ribbons stand alone, and the potholder and magnets are a great way to use them!
- Awareness Ribbon Square 8″ or 12″ by Carolyn VanOstran, a Ravelry download: A great contribution to a community blanket, or great on it’s own!
- Ribbon Awareness by Jen Spears, a Ravelry download: This fun illusion crochet bag is fantastic!
- Breast Cancer Awareness Cup Cozy by Bernat Design Studio: Change the color for the cause nearest to your heart.
- Wrapped in Hope Scarf by Heidi Yates, a Ravelry download: A beautiful scarf in any color – and very clever design!
- Crochet Awareness Ribbon Earrings by Megan Denham, on Tampa Bay Crochet: Photo tutorial included! Another great way to show your support!
- Breast Cancer Awareness Slouch Hat by April Draven, on April Draven Designs: Tapestry crochet on a stylish hat that makes a statement!
- Fck Cancer Hat in Tunisian by Vicky Goff, on Adventures of a Craftaholic: Sometimes it just needs to be said, eh?
Have you crocheted items for a cause before? An awareness campaign? Share your story in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Sulia, and Google+ – come join the fun! TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.