This week’s free pattern is for the girls – young and old! Because you’re always the right age for a beautiful handmade headband. And because in this heat, anything that keeps sweaty hair under control is a good thing!
It’s a very quick project, made with a small amount of yarn – which means you can make one to match every outfit!
Catherine Crochet Headband
Add this pattern to your Ravelry Queue
This pattern is offered in two sizes: for small children, and for tweens to adults. The only difference is the number of starting chains! My 10 year old is pictured above wearing the tween/adult size.
- US-H, 5.0mm hook
- Worsted weight yarn, about 50 yards each of two colors (Lily Sugar’n Cream Hot Blue and Hot Pink shown)
- aj v slovenčine
With Color A, make starting chain: ch 47 for child, ch 57 for tween/adult.
Row 1 (WS): Sc into the 2nd ch from hook, then sc into the next ch. *Skip the next 3 ch and work 7 dc into the next ch. Skip the next 3 ch, and sc into the next 3 ch after that. Repeat from * until 4 ch remain. Skip 3 ch, and work 4 dc into the last ch, finishing the last dc stitch with Color B. Do not break color A. Ch 1 and turn.
Row 2 (RS): Sc into the first 2 sts. *Ch 3, then work dc7tog over the next 7 sts. Ch 3, then sc in the next 3 sts. Repeat from * until 4 sts remain. Ch 3 and work dc4tog over the the last 4 sts. Turn. Row 3 (WS): Ch 3 (counts as first dc st). Work 3 dc into first (same) st. *Skip the chs and sc into each of the next 3 sts (sc sts in previous row). Skip the next set of ch sts and work 7 dc into the top center of the dc7tog cluster from the previous row. Repeat from * to end, skipping the last set of chs and finishing with a sc in each of the last two sts, finishing the last sc stitch with Color A.Turn. (You may break color B at this point, leaving enough to weave in end later.)
Row 4 (RS): Ch 3. Skip the 1st st and dc3tog over the next 3 sts. *Ch 3, sc into the next 3 sts. Ch 3 and dc7 tog over the next 7 sts. Repeat from * until 2 sts remain. Ch 3 and sc into each of the last two sts. Do not turn over, do not break yarn.
- Staying on RS, turn the headband 90 degrees clockwise to work into the end. Working into the center of the side, make 7 dc sts (shell).
- Turning headband another 90 degrees, sl st in each st of the opposite side (the original ch sts) to end of the row.
- Turning another 90 degrees, work another 7 dc shell into the center of the second end.
- Turning 90 degrees one last time, work a sl st into each st of the Row 4. When you get the end, break yarn and use the seamless join to finish off, sewing into the first dc of the first shell. Weave in ends.
Ch 40. Pull working loop big and remove hook. Thread the starting end through the center dc of one of the end shells, and pull through until it’s at the working loop. Re-insert hook, and sl st in each ch to end. Break yarn and finish off, tying ends together and trimming nicely. Repeat on other side.
Be sure to Like the moogly Facebook page for the latest updates and have some fun with us! Written pattern copyright Tamara Kelly 2012. Please do not reprint or repost this pattern, but please feel free to link to this page to share this pattern with others.