It’s wedding season! Put on your dancing shoes, your prettiest dress, and get ready to celebrate love. Even if you don’t have a wedding to go to, there are a plethora of awards dinners, reunions, and long nights to attend. Don’t let a fickle forecast, overactive AC, or dress code keep you from wearing that shoulder bearing top or dress – make a shrug!
Shrugs, boleros, and vests – whatever you call them, they keep your shoulders covered and ward off any errant chills and make your party dress ceremony approved. Simple shrugs are great beginner’s patterns – often no more than a rectangle with a couple of small seams! But there are lots of advanced patterns out there as well, ready to challange the most advanced crocheter. Here’s a quick rundown of 10 free crochet shrug patterns that I found to complete that special outfit:
- Ribbed “Lace” Bolero (Crochet Version) by Miss Crafty Fingers – The knit version was a hit, so here’s the crochet version – very cute!
- Spring Shrug by Elizabeth Trantham – Simple, lovely, and very fast! Perfect for those last minute invitations!
The Squared Vest by Amanda Tipton – Simple squares and an ingenious mind combine! This one looks a little warmer, but offers great coverage.
126-8 Crochet bolero in ”Delight” with crochet squares round the edge by DROPS – Celebrate your special occasion and your love of the granny square with this pattern. Drops offers this pattern in multiple languages, so make sure you’re on the one you want before you get started!
Merri’s Shrug by Merri Purdy – Love the clean lines of the body combined with a softly scalloped edge. This one is a free Ravelry download.
Custard Shrug by Maria Whetman – This one is for those looking for a little more coverage and less body-conscious fit, with enough openwork to keep you from overheating. Another free Ravelry download!
- Lace Crochet Bolero by Doris Chan – Just exquisite! This is one of my favorite Doris Chan designs. It’s made with two strands of fingering weight yarn held together, but I’ve seen it done with just one. Offered in sizes small to 3X.
- Lover’s Knot Shrug by Microgirl – Can there be a more perfect wedding shrug than the Lover’s Knot?
- Palm Beach Shrug by Carol Wolf – This one is perfect for cooler evenings and for those who don’t go in for the cropped look.
111-25 Crochet bolero in ”Cotton Viscose” with flower border by DROPS – So airy it’s barely there, and the floral edging makes it perfectly feminine and flirty. Also offered in sizes small to 3X – love that!
Here’s hoping that one of the above is just what you needed to make that sexy dress or hot halter top into the perfect outfit – for day and night! I know you’ll look beautiful!