We all have them - those partially used skeins of yarn. Too much to throw out, not enough to make a project on their own, don't really want to buy more of it. Time for a stash buster afghan! These 10 free afghan crochet patterns are perfect stash busters - with stripes and color changes, they come to life!
10 Free Stash Buster Afghan Crochet Patterns
(click the name of the pattern, in blue, to go to the pattern page!)
- Corner-to-Corner Throw by Catherine J. Watson, on Red Heart Free Website: The Corner-to-Corner is super popular on Facebook lately - and I have to admit I've started one myself! It's addictive! I bumped up a hook size, and I'm loving it for mindless relaxing!
- Granny Stripes by Lucy, on Attic24: Granny Stripes make it easy and fast to bust that stash!
- Blackberry Salad Striped Baby Blanket and Afghan by Tamara Kelly, on moogly: Yep, it's the second pattern I ever wrote - and it's been a big hit for the last couple of years. It's also a fantastic stash buster!
- Easy Ripple Afghan by SusanB, on Handcrafting With Love: Chevrons make even your scraps look trendy!
- Fantasy Blanket by Ana Contreras, a Ravelry download: Isn't this gorgeous!? And it was inspired by a Stash-busting Challenge!
- Ribbon Afghan by Olivia Rainsford, on The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady: There's an excellent step by step tutorial for this crochet blanket - and if you start with FSC and FDC it'll be even easier!
- Scrappy Stripes Afghan by Elizabeth Ham, on Crochet A Trunk-Full O' Fun!: Leave the tails on the sides long for fringe, and you don't even have to weave them in! Video tutorial included!
Groovy-ghan by Marinke Slump, on a creative being: Each row is worked right to left, all on one side of the fabric - perfect for odds and ends of yarn! Photo tutorial included with the instructions. Unfortunately, this pattern is no longer available.Luckily, there are other tutorials for this stitch: click here! And the original instructions have also been added to Cut Out and Keep!
- Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket by Tamara Kelly, on moogly: Can I through in one more of my patterns? With 8 different sizes on offer, you're sure to find one to fit your stash - just 2 rows worth of each color needed! A video tutorial is available too!
- Easy Hexagon Pattern by Elizabeth Trantham, on Crochet in Color blog: Each hexagon takes just a little bit of yarn - then whipstitch them together! Make one with leftovers of all your other projects and it'll be a wonderful memory blanket too.
The best part of stash buster afghans is that when you're all done, you have a cozy, colorful blanket - and room for new yarn! I hope you found a pattern here that will inspire you to do a little stash busting. And if there's a scrapghan or afghan pattern you think should be on the list, link it in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Sulia, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can email me at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.