We all have them – those partially used skeins of yarn. Too much to throw out, not enough to make a project on their own, don’t really want to buy more of it. Time for a stash buster afghan! These 10 free afghan crochet patterns are perfect stash busters – with stripes and color changes, they come to life!
10 Free Stash Buster Afghan Crochet Patterns
(click the name of the pattern, in blue, to go to the pattern page!)
- Corner-to-Corner Throw by Catherine J. Watson, on Red Heart Free Website: The Corner-to-Corner is super popular on Facebook lately – and I have to admit I’ve started one myself! It’s addictive! I bumped up a hook size, and I’m loving it for mindless relaxing!
- Granny Stripes by Lucy, on Attic24: Granny Stripes make it easy and fast to bust that stash!
- Blackberry Salad Striped Baby Blanket and Afghan by Tamara Kelly, on moogly: Yep, it’s the second pattern I ever wrote – and it’s been a big hit for the last couple of years. It’s also a fantastic stash buster!
- Easy Ripple Afghan by SusanB, on Handcrafting With Love: Chevrons make even your scraps look trendy!
- Fantasy Blanket by Ana Contreras, a Ravelry download: Isn’t this gorgeous!? And it was inspired by a Stash-busting Challenge!
- Ribbon Afghan by Olivia Rainsford, on The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady: There’s an excellent step by step tutorial for this crochet blanket – and if you start with FSC and FDC it’ll be even easier!
- Scrappy Stripes Afghan by Elizabeth Ham, on Crochet A Trunk-Full O’ Fun!: Leave the tails on the sides long for fringe, and you don’t even have to weave them in! Video tutorial included!
Groovy-ghan by Marinke Slump, on a creative being: Each row is worked right to left, all on one side of the fabric – perfect for odds and ends of yarn! Photo tutorial included with the instructions. Unfortunately, this pattern is no longer available.Luckily, there are other tutorials for this stitch: click here! And the original instructions have also been added to Cut Out and Keep!
- Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket by Tamara Kelly, on moogly: Can I through in one more of my patterns? With 8 different sizes on offer, you’re sure to find one to fit your stash – just 2 rows worth of each color needed! A video tutorial is available too!
- Easy Hexagon Pattern by Elizabeth Trantham, on Crochet in Color blog: Each hexagon takes just a little bit of yarn – then whipstitch them together! Make one with leftovers of all your other projects and it’ll be a wonderful memory blanket too.
The best part of stash buster afghans is that when you’re all done, you have a cozy, colorful blanket – and room for new yarn! I hope you found a pattern here that will inspire you to do a little stash busting. And if there’s a scrapghan or afghan pattern you think should be on the list, link it in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Sulia, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can email me at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.
I love them all 🙂
😀 Me too! I keep looking at my stash wondering which to make next!
Thanks for including my Easy Ripple Afghan pattern! I’m definitely seeing visitors from coming from you on my website today.
Glad to hear it SusanB! Thank you sharing it!
Thanks for including the hexagons. Great idea about leftovers of each project creating a memory blanket.
You’re welcome! It’s a great pattern!
They all are so beautiful an’ colorful!..loving an’ still watching your tutorials!..i think i HAVE to try any of ’em!….♥
Thank you for sharing these patterns. It is very much appreciated! … good inspiration
😀 Thank you Lashawna!
I’m home all winter, so I ordered the yarn for the Granny Stripes afghan. Can’t wait to start working on it!!
Большое спасибо! Вам и Вашей бабушке! Очень красивые работы. Мне тоже нравятся афганские узоры!! Удачи и вдохновения для новых работ.
im going to do some of these afgahns
All are so Beautiful! Thank you & I Love your Creative Tutorials & Patterns!
Thank you so much Renee!
Thank you ,thank you so much for sharing these patterns 🙂
😀 Thank you Linda!
Great collection of stash buster patterns – unfortunately the groovy-ghan pattern and all of Marike’s stunning inspirations are gone 😟 Understandably, but regretfully her fabulous website has been closed. She was a beautiful person and will always be missed.
🙁 Very much so.
Even though it says the pattern is no longer available on this website. You can get the unique and awesome Groovy Ghan pattern here: https://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/groovy-ghan
It is simply because the designer passed away and her website no longer functions. But the pattern is still alive and well. Please be sure to share it with your friends.
@Mooglyblog please update to link to the patterns new location.
Thank you for the new link, Robin!
Thank you – they are all lovely and I can’t wait to get started.