The Muppets and their friends on Sesame Street have a permanent place in most of our hearts. The shows, the movies, the characters, they've been around for over 30 years now, and they show no signs of stopping. I grew up watching both The Muppet Show and Sesame Street, and I'm glad they're still around for my kids to enjoy. There are some amazing free patterns out there featuring the characters in both knit and crochet, so let's take a look!
- Jim Henson Muppet Charts (knit) - These nine charts stand alone or combine to make an amazing blanket. Absolutely awesome! I want one to cuddle up with for movie night.
- Muppet Glasses Holder (crochet) - I made my dad the Professor Honeydew version for Christmas a few years ago, and it was a huge hit! The one I made is below, but the Animal version made by Funkynitter on Ravelry blows my mind! It does run a little small, so I recommend making the "head" a bit bigger if you aren't adding a lot of embellishments. Or make it just a bit smaller for kids!
- Yip Yip Alien (crochet) - These guys may not have been main characters, but anyone who's seen them has never forgotten them! Basically a tube with eyes and a bunch of simple tentacles, they are sure to bring a smile to any Muppet lover's face! Also a chorus of "yipyipyipyipyipyipyip..."
- Slimey (knit) - Slimey the Worm is Oscar's pet on Sesame Street and definitely the cutest worm I've ever seen. This puppet is adorable both felted and un-felted, and as a bonus this pattern comes some great felting tips if you want to try it.
- Muppet Skin Mitts (crochet) - More of an homage than a specific Muppet pattern, these fun mitts definitely bring this cultural reference to life! If you've ever thought a yarn or a carpet or blanket looked like "someone skinned a Muppet," then I think you'll get a kick out of these. And they look mighty warm too! This pattern is available as a free Ravelry download.
- Elmo (crochet) - Arguably one of the most famous of Jim Henson's Muppets these days, Elmo is so well beloved by the younger set that I couldn't resist including him here. This free Elmo pattern is the best crocheted one I've seen!
- Elmo (knit) - It's only fair to offer a knit version for this famous little 3 ½ year old, and this one is free and super adorable as well! Best of all, you'll also find Cookie Monster here, and a bunch of other great characters!
- Frog Puppet (crochet) - This one isn't labeled as Kermit, but I know I see it - it's the eyes! This is a fun, functional puppet that's ready for it's rendition of The Rainbow Connection.
- Make Your Own Muppet Hats (crochet) - This crocheter has designed a whole bunch of Sesame Street themed beanies, but best of all she's described how to make all the parts - eyes, mouths, noses, feathers, etc. With all these bits and the basic beanie pattern, you can assembly any character you like, in a wide variety of sizes!
- Oscar (knit) - Possibly the very best use for eyelash yarn ever invented, Oscar comes to life complete with trash can in this fun pattern. Love!
I hope you've enjoyed this roundup of free Muppet and Sesame Street patterns! Jim Henson's creations continue to delight and inspire, and with any luck you've found some inspiration right here today!