Hairpin Lace is a technique I haven’t yet had the privilege of trying – but it’s definitely on the short list! One of these days I’m going to pick one up and master this fascinating technique.
This type of lace is made using a crochet hook and specialized loom. You make long strips, and then these strips are crocheted together. There are an infinite variety of ways that these strips can be joined. And that’s how you get all the amazing projects made with this technique!
It was popular in Victorian times, and I think it’s due for a comeback. For this roundup, I’ve included a beginner video and a link to the most complete tutorial on the web. And a list of free patterns that will have you adding hairpin lace to your own to-do list!
For a tutorial on how to make Hair Pin Lace using the Clover Hair Pin Lace Tool, click here!
15 Free Hairpin Lace Crochet Patterns
- Hairpin Lace Popcorn Scarf by Fatima Lasay, on Crochetology:
- Hairpin Lace Baby Blanket by Bernat Design Studio:
- Red Heart Hair Pin Lace Vest by Yarnspirations:
- Holcomb Farm Scarf by Beverly Army Williams, a Ravelry download:
- Red Heart Hairpin Lace and Flowers Scarf by Yarnspirations:
- #11a Mohair Hairpin Lace Shawl by Clover Japan:
- Woman’s Hairpin Lace Shawl by Coats & Clark:
- Hairpin Lace Scarf and Fingerless Gloves by Susanne W., a Ravelry download:
- Red Heart Waverly Place Throw by Yarnspirations:
- Calypso Hairband/Headband by Birgit Tüchsen, on ByNumber19:
- Hairpin Lace Infinity Scarf by B Hooked Crochet:
- Hairpin Lace Bookmark by Margret Willson, on Talking Crochet with Carol Alexander
- Hairpin Lace Mobius Wrap by Lion Brand Yarn:
- Hairpin Lace Neck Cuff by Jennifer Hansen, on Stitch Diva Studios:
- Convertible Wrap by Jennifer Hansen, on Stitch Diva Studios:
Have you tried any hairpin lace crochet patterns? Have any advice for those of us who haven’t tried it before? I can’t wait to find some time to really dig into this technique!