With Día de Muertos and Halloween coming up, it seems like the right time to share some of the amazing skull crochet patterns that are out there! Skulls don’t have to be scary or creepy – after all, we all have one. And my daughter had a skulls with little pink bows theme for her 7th birthday, and that’s not nearly the creepiest thing one of my kids have done! Indeed, there are more skull patterns than you might think – I found nearly 100 free ones, and even more that are available for purchase. So here’s a carefully curated collection of only the finest free crochet skull patterns – enjoy!
10 Free Crochet Skull Patterns
(click on the name of the pattern, in blue, to go to that pattern’s page!)
- Skull shawl by kungen och majkis: This super popular pattern is available in English, Swedish, and German – I’ve linked to the Ravelry entry for this one so you can grab the version you want!
- Day Of The Dead Skull by Kristin Canganelli, on Kristin’s Krazy Knits: This skull motif pattern features a step by step tutorial, and makes a great applique, bunting, scarf, the start of some barefoot sandals – whatever you like!
- Sugar Skull Winter Mask by Kourtney Moon, on Sewing My Fingers Together: Customize the appliques to create your own unique look! I love the designer’s intention of making herself warmer and more noticeable to drivers while on her bike – I bet it works!
- Felted Skull by Lion Brand Yarn: The perfect centerpiece for your holiday table – and integral to your famous Hamlet impersonation.
- Skull Trick or Treat Bag by Lily / Sugar’n Cream: Cute and friendly for little monsters to carry their loot in! A quick crochet project!
- Poor Yorrick by Liz Lindo, a Ravelry Download: This 3D skull is amazing! Removable eyeballs complete with optic nerves, a wrinkly gray removable brain – impressive, albeit a little bit gruesome. Poor, poor Yorrick.
- Sweet Satisfaction by Leathra, on The AntiCraft: I couldn’t find one picture that shows just how awesome this skull yarn and notions holder is! The top zips open to hold your yarn, the mouth zips open to a pouch for your notions, and the pretty lacy ribbon decorating the top loops over your wrist for yarning on the go! So clever!
- Papel Picado Filet Crochet Chart by Michelle Moross, on Gurman Fravor: A filet crochet chart based on Mexican folk art! Beautiful!
- Crochet Day of the Dead Sugar Skull Earrings by Spider Mambo a Ravelry download: This designer has several skull patterns on Ravelry – be sure to check them all out!
- Halloween Skeleton Beanie Hat by Crochet AddictUK: This friendly skull hat pattern includes sizing instructions for 1 year olds to adults!
Have you crocheted a skull or skeleton before? For paid patterns I love this All Ages Super Skull Beanie Pattern on Craftsy (affiliate link) – it comes with instructions for 4 sizes! What’s your favorite crochet skull pattern? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Sulia, and Google+ – come join the fun! [email protected]