Sifting through grandma’s coffee can full of buttons is one of those near-universal memories among crafters. What happened to all those cans? Some of you may have been lucky enough to inherit these treasure troves, but far too many of us are left with only the craft store. And they aren’t 10 cents a pack any more either. Whether it’s price or availability, being able to make your own buttons on the spot is a great skill to have!
I’ve had lots of fun making my own buttons when the buttons I had on hand just wouldn’t do. Here are 5 different patterns and tutorials I found – one of which might be just what you need to finish your next project!
- A Simple Crochet Button by Mr. Micawber’s Recipe for Happiness – This is a fantastic photo tutorial and written pattern that makes a nice flat firm button. Easy go-to for any project!
- Buttons by Kathrin Bardeleben – You’ll be shocked this Ravelry download is free! So cute and such fine work. Offered in both English and German.
- Valentine Button on Flower Girl Cottage – This big, bold button couldn’t be simpler!
- Crocheted Buttons: A Tutorial by Salt for the Spirit – This is another great photo tutorial, this time for a large but very sturdy button, made using drapery rings!
- How to Crochet Your Own Buttons by Emi Harrington – This one is a video tutorial, seen below. I love the simplicity and pop you get with these!
Buttons are fun, and now you can have a perfect match for every project – knit, crochet, or even fabric. The applications are endless! Have you ever made your own buttons? Is there another pattern you like to use? Share in the comments!