It’s time for September’s Designer Showcase! I like to wrap up each month by having one of my favorite designers share a bit about themselves, and then I follow it up by sharing my 5 favorite free patterns that they've designed! This month I’m excited to share some things from the clever Marie Segares - the blogger and designer behind Underground Crafter and the smartie behind the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Podcast!
I got the chance to be on the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Podcast, and it was wonderful chatting with Marie! And she designs wonderful patterns. Here's what she has to say!
I'm Marie from Underground Crafter. I learned to crochet from my maternal grandmother back in 1984 and I've been hooked ever since. She tried to teach me to knit, but that was less successful. In 2010 I decided to conquer my fear of knitting, and I haven't looked back since. (Don't tell the knitting, but crochet is still my favorite!)
I design crochet and knitting patterns, teach crochet and knitting locally and at regional events, and share crochet tips, crochet and knitting book reviews, interviews with professional fiber artists, and more on the Underground Crafter blog. You may be wondering about the Underground Crafter name. I'm not part of a secret society of crafters, but I do crochet and knit underground quite a bit while commuting on New York City's subway system.
If you're interested in the business side of the yarn industry, you may also enjoy my weekly podcast, the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show. I interviewed Tamara back in Episode 23, which you can listen to in your browser or on iTunes or Stitcher.
Marie's designs are always lovely! Here are 5 of my favorite freebies by Marie:
5 Free Crochet Patterns by Marie Segares on Underground Crafter!
Click on the names of the patterns you like to go to their pattern pages!
- Flirty Marvel Skirt: Available in 4 women’s sizes, this A-line skirt was inspired by a pioneering aviator with a fabulous and flirty sense of style!
- Rectangular Sampler Blanket: Combines different stitch patterns into a granny-style rectangle project - with no joining!
- Pineapples for Everyone Shawl: A "recipe pattern" that allows you to create a customized shawl for several people on your holiday list!
- Chubby Sheep: Super cute, and it includes (optional) instructions to transform it into an ornament or hanging decoration!
- Picnic Basket Shawl: Light enough to take wherever you go, it'll look great when you get there!
Thank you so much to Marie for being featured in the Moogly Designer Showcase this month! Be sure to check out Underground Crafter for more great crochet!