As some of you may know, my middle child has a severe congenital heart defect. While it’s a big deal, he gets to lead a pretty normal life 99% of the time, and we’re very lucky that it’s not something we have to think about every day.
This is not the case for the parents of children born with single ventricle heart disease – children born with just half a heart. Little Hearts Matter is a charity organization dedicated to providing support and education to families with children born with single ventricle heart disease. And they’ve asked me to help spread the word about their work, because there’s something very special happening right now!
During the month of October, Little Hearts Matter (LHM) is running a fundraising campaign called Handmade Hearts. They are asking their members to “make, bake, sew and sell” handcrafted hearts, donating the money from the sale to LHM. As the only UK charity supporting children and their families affected by single ventricle heart disease the are working to support families and honor the pioneering surgery developed 20 years ago which has allowed children with half a heart, for the first time EVER, to survive beyond infancy.
Obviously, this is a cause which hits close to home for me – even all the way over here in Iowa. So today I’ve put together a collection of free crochet patterns featuring hearts – all of which would also make amazing charity projects!
14 Free Heart Themed Crochet Patterns
Click on the name of the patterns you like to go to their pattern pages.
- Personalized Baby Afghan by Kim Guzman, on Crochet Kim: An amazing tribute to a loved one!
- Chainless Foundation Heart Headband by Elisabeth Spivey, on Calleigh’s Clips and Crochet Creations: This is absolutely gorgeous in thick and thin yarn!
- Heart Coin Purse by Belle Tracy, on I’m Hooked: This is so cute, I want to make a ton just because!
- Heart Hair Bands by Savanah, on Handmade Happies: This is such a great and fast idea!
- Heart Sachet Pattern by Kara Gunza, on Petals to Picots: Fill them with potpourri and they’re a feast for the senses!
- Hearts Edging by Katandai, on Yarn Crazy Girl Patterns: Use this edging on fleece or finished blankets for an extra special touch of love!
- Love Bugs by Lily Sugar’n Cream, on Yarnspirations: Too fun! These will put a smile on their face for sure!
- Christmas Love Hearts, on Red Heart: With the holidays coming up, these are perfect!
- Baby Mine Hat (kids version) and All Mine Hat (adult version) by Tamara Kelly, on Moogly: My own contributions to the heart cause – modeled by my middle guy himself!
- Valentine’s Day Mug Cozy by Rebecca Langford, on Little Monkey’s Crochet: Not just for Valentine’s Day now! ‘Tis the season for mug cozies!
- Hearts and Stripes Scarf by Linda Cyr, on Red Heart: This is super fun! The stripes are great for local sports teams too!
- Heart Coasters or Appliques by Jessie Rayot, on Jessie At Home: Protect your table and help protect their hearts!
- Circle of Love Afghan by Tamara Kelly on Moogly: This works up fast, and is a real eye catcher!
- I’ve also designed the Love Wiggles Trivet – another great heart shaped pattern!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this heart filled collection of free crochet patterns. And be sure to check out the Little Hearts Matter website to learn more and see if you can help – share your talents, share your pennies, share a link to all your friends!
Thanks so much for reading! Get more Moogly on your favorite social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, G+, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr, and sign up for the FREE weekly Newsletter so you don’t miss a thing!