The African Flower Motif might just be the new granny square! This one motif seems to be able to form the basis of any number of patterns. It's fun, beautiful, easy, and visually striking - and here are 10 free patterns that show it off!
10 Free African Flower Patterns
(click the words in blue to go to the patterns or info - they're links!)
- African Flower Hexagon Crochet Tutorial by Heidi Bears, on Heidi Bears Blog: You can't have a discussion of this motif without talking about Heidi Bears! Her crochet animals and other patterns made with the AF motif are a HUGE hit! While her animal patterns are for sale, she offers a great step by step tutorial for the basic motif for free on her blog. She also has a free pattern and tutorial for a Pentagon version!
- Half African Flower by Bigú Osuna, on Crear con hilos blog: The trouble with hexagons is getting a straight edge when you join them - this pattern for a half flower fills in the gaps so you can design your own project!
- African Flower Bag by Gunilla Karlsson, on Alla dagar som gick: Take the motif from Heidi Bears above, and you can use it to make this bag! I think this bag is just gorgeous, and there are instructions in English, Swedish, and German!
- African Flower Pincushion by Sandra Paul, on Cherry Heart: Simple and sweet, so pretty on a sewing table! Includes a step by step photo tutorial!
- African Flower Square by Barbara Smith, on Made in K-town: Turn the AF motif into a square and there are even more possibilities! A blanket, a bag, a scarf - so fun!
- African Flower Purse by Joanne Loh, on Craft Passion: A bag of a different shape, this one is perfect too. The two part tutorial includes both the crochet instructions and how to sew the lining and handles!
- African Flowers Hot Water Bottle Cover by Gina Ross Design, on Natural Yarns: Would you hate me if I said Hot Water Bottle Covers are "hot"? Ok, skip that then - the fact is, if you knit or crochet and live where hot water bottles and tea cozies are the thing, then this version is a great option!
- African Flower Dishcloth by Casey Downing, on Plus 3 Crochet: Grab some kitchen cotton and start with the standard AF motif, then add the rows for this pattern and soon you'll have a chic new dishcloth or spa cloth!
- African Flower Hotpad by Darlisa Riggs, on Crochet Uncut, Fall 2011: Double layered to make a great trivet or thick potholder, this tutorial makes the clever joining look easy!
- Mamy Bag by Cécile Franconie, on facilecécile (Ravlery link): Ok, one more bag... This pattern is the first thing I saw made with the AF Hexagon, and I immediately fell in love. Now the pattern is only available via the Wayback Machine, and it's in French. But do not despair! An English language version is linked, and though it uses a different hexagon pattern, the rest of the info is the same. And since we have the hexagon pattern above, you're all set!
Are you onboard with African Flower motifs? Have you made a Heidi Bears pattern or one of the free patterns listed here? Is there a great free pattern I missed? Tell me about it in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Sulia, and Google+ – come join the fun! TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.