Halloween might seem far away, but if your kids are planning on handmade costumes, it'll be here faster than you think! Here are 10 crochet Halloween costumes and ideas for kids, including 14 free patterns. So let's get the creative juices flowing!
- Batman/ Batgirl - There's a great Batman Inspired Costume at Design Adventures, with a mask and cape combo sure to please any tiny caped crusader!
- King/ Queen/ Prince/ Princess - There's a Crown pattern at Alli Crafts offered in 3 sizes to get you started, and a basic Cape pattern from Pierrot that is easily customizable.
- Little Red Riding Hood / Big Bad Wolf - Red Heart is jam packed with free Halloween patterns this year! This cape and hat pairing are too cute. Perfect for siblings who actually coordinate their costumes (rare as that may be)!
- Pirate - Ahoy matey! Pirates are a perennial favorite for sure, and once again Red Heart has a pattern for that. Their pirate hat is hard to beat! Add a hook designed by Melanie Blake and an eye patch from Vallieskids and they'll be off on a treasure hunt for delicious candy!
- Gnome - Ok, one more from Red Heart, because this is just too cute! The Kidding Around Gnome pattern includes the hat, beard, and suspenders. And lots of laughs!
- Ballerina - Almost every little girl goes through a ballerina phase. And as we all know, it's the tutu that makes the outfit! This one from Stitch 11 has an excellent photo tutorial to make it super easy - love that!
- Witch/ Wizard - This Wicked Wizard Witches Hat, also from Stitch 11, is perfect! It works for boys, girls, and would even make a great Sorting Hat from Harry Potter, with a little embellishment and improvising!
- Brave (or cowardly!) Knight - This amazing Knight Costume from Jennifer Rosenfeld includes everything you need - vest, helmet and dagger! It's a free Ravelry download.
- Olympic Athlete - The Summer Games may be over, but the spirit lives on! A track suit and a crocheted
Games Medalare all it takes to impersonate their favorite Olympian. The "ribbon" on this pattern is knit, but if you can't knit and don't want to improvise, the Rainbow Lanyard might be a good stand-in. The original pattern linked here is no longer available, but check out this even cuter one from Stitches 'n Scraps!
- Mario/ Luigi (Super Mario Bros.) - The classic duo from Nintendo (and now the Wii) just keep going and going! And the costume is a great one - a pair of overalls, long sleeve tee, fake mustache, and a Super Mario/ Luigi Hat from Laura Michels!
And don't forget about what's sure to be a hot handmade costume this year - Minions! So have the kids in your life decided what they want to be this year? Handmade costumes are a great way to teach our kids creativity and resourcefulness. So have fun planning their costumes together! Hopefully these crochet Halloween costumes and ideas will help inspire you!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates! Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and now Tumblr – come join the fun! You can email me at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.