Crochet tote bags are one of my favorite projects! They’re fun, useful, and it feels so good to bring my own bags to the store and farmer’s market. Heck, in some places it’s the law! Whether it’s a trip to the beach or a milk run to the closest mega mart, carrying a bag you crocheted yourself is uniquely satisfying. There are tons of patterns for totes and grocery bags, but here are 10 of the best crochet tote bag patterns – some of which I’ve made, and others I hope to in the future! Lots of styles to choose from, so I think you’ll find some to love too!
10 Free Crochet Tote Bag Patterns
- Provence Summer String Bag by Kathy North, on Classic Elite Yarns, via the internet archive: This stitch pattern is gorgeous!
- Lacy V Shopping Bag by Cathy Phillips, a Ravelry download: Here’s one I made – and ended up donating to a charity auction! I still want to make another for myself, I just love this pattern! It’s a BIG bag as written, to make a smaller version, start with a chain of 30 instead of 50.
- Rose Garden Tote by Michele Wilcox, on Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller: An absolutely amazing felted bag! Such detail! This would be a great mother’s day gift!
- Spring Petals Messenger Tote by Susan Gater, on Asparagus & Mayonnaise: Look for the link to the doc for this colorful crochet tote pattern in the sidebar!
- Inga’s Häkelbeutel by Inga Joana Mertens, on Stricksucht: I’ve made two of these, with two different types of granny squares – it’s a great basic pattern for a medium size tote bag!
- Plus Size Cable Bag by Brenda Bourg, on Red Heart: A great big bag with lots of style!
- Rainbow Hexagon Beach Bag by Lily / Sugar’n Cream: I love love love the colors and motifs in this one!
- Summer Squares Beach Tote by Micah York, on Micah Makes: Great for the pool, the beach, or shopping!
- Mother’s Day Tote by D2B, a Ravelry download: For those who want a strong, sturdy tote that’s finished fast!
- Tuck Away Tote by Ruth Shepherd, on Talking Crochet with Carol Alexander: Mesh bags are always handy, and this one folds up to stash anywhere – and it’s pretty too! Genius!
What are your favorite free crochet tote patterns? It seems like no matter how many I make I always want to make more! Share your links and favorites in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at [email protected]