Ruffle yarn (aka mesh yarn) is the newest entry to the novelty yarn market, and there are several competitors out there: Premier Starbella, Red Heart Boutique Sashay, Spinrite Pirouette, Bernat Twist ‘N Twirl, and more added every day. Primarily they’re used to make twisty ruffle scarves – just the other day I spotted one such scarf on a local celebrity! And while the twirly ruffle scarves are very pretty, you can bet that designers have been hard at work thinking up other fun uses for this yarn. Here are 16 free knit and crochet patterns that use ruffle yarns in new ways!
Free Crochet Patterns Using Ruffle Yarns:
- Quick and Sassy Chain Scarf on Red Heart: (finger crocheting!)
- Sophia’s Shawl by Margaret Zellner, a Ravelry download:
- Rose Parade Wrap Crochet Pattern by Linda Cyr on Red Heart:
- Child Sashay Yarn Skirt by Amy Lehman, on Crochet Creative Creations:
- Ruffle Lined Purse by Debi Dearest, on Dearest Debi Blog:
- Ruffle Ripple Shoulder Cozy Crochet Pattern by Trish Warrick on Red Heart:
- Swing Ruffles Vest by Amy Polcyn, on Premier Yarns:
- Grape Swirl Hat by PollyAnna Perdue, a Ravelry download:
Free Knit Patterns Using Ruffle Yarns:
- Summer Days Ruffled Shoulder Bag by Rozetti Yarns (PDF):
- Ruffle Pillow by Trish Warrick, on Red Heart:
- Starbella Ruffle Skirt by Milly of Ben Franklin Crafts:
- Ruffled Tutu Skirt by Kathryn Ashley-Wright, a Ravelry download:
- I’m Worth It Ruffled Tote Knitting Pattern by Lorna Miser on Red Heart:
- Ruffled Cami by Margaret Zellner, a Ravelry download:
- Kelp Forest Shawlette by karinknits designs, a Ravelry download:
- Ruffled Roses by Annie Modesitt, a Ravelry download:
Have you tried out any of these ruffle yarns or mesh yarns yet? What did you make? Share your ideas and links in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.