Plan ahead and you can save money on yarn online and in person - something we're all interested in these days. Here are this week’s coupons and sales, to help you save money on yarn (and hooks, and needles, and all your other hobbies)!
- Michaels - Enter your zip code to get the coupons for the store closest to you. This week I got coupons for 40% off any one regularly priced item this week, 20% off the entire purchase, and a few coupons for specific items like framed art and canvases. Lily Sugar'n Cream, several of the Loops and Threads yarns, and Patons Classic Wool are all on sale this week. In addition, I got an email this morning advertising a 2 day sale (28th and 29th), which includes the Loops and Threads yarns, Starbella Ruffle yarn, Red Heart Sashay, and Caron Simply Soft. Michaels has a mobile app with coupons as well, so be sure to download that if you can!
- Jo-Ann Fabrics – Coupon Commotion is over, but if you still have the flyer there are a couple more coupons in there for this week. There are more flyers inside the front door of the store, with a coupon for 50% off any one item. Sales going on now include Red Heart Super Saver, Bernat Satin, Caron Simply Soft, and Lily Sugar'n Cream Super Size. A flyer I got at checkout this week is advertising an upcoming Columbus Day sale for October 5-8, which will include 25% off all yarns in stock, and features several dollars off coupons. And just this morning I got an email for a Web Exclusive 3 day Halloween sale which includes free shipping on a $25 or more purchase with the code KDF273, and up to 30% off yarn and crochet thread! So be sure to sign up for the emails, their mailing list and get the app for even more deals.
- Hobby Lobby – I Love This Yarn, Coats Classic Crochet Thread, and Poly-fil Fiberfill are on sale this week, and they have the usual printable coupon for 40% off any regularly priced item. There's an iPhone app that includes the same 40% off coupon and ad info, and also has a feature that lets you check gift card balances.
- Herrschners – Here's the best current choice I know of for international shipping! Sales this week include Bernat Softee Chunky, Lily Sugar'n Cream, several varieties of Red Heart Boutique yarns, Starbella Ruffle yarn, and a few more. Get on their email list for notifications of when they update their sales.
- ACMoore – Enter your zip code to get the coupons for the store closest to you. I got coupons for $5 off a $20 purchase, $10 off a $30 purchase and another for 50% off one item. And all yarns, excluding $1 fashion yarns, are 30% off the regular price!
Readers have been sharing some great ideas for stretching their yarn budgets! Here's what you had to say last week:
Crafty Gardener said:
I regularly check thrift stores for yarn and it is amazing what you can find. I have a friend who buys hand knitted items from thrift stores just to wash and unravel the yarn. She has an amazing collection that didn’t cost nearly what buying new would cost.
And I got a great question:
I live in an area where the closest “real” yarn shop is two hours away (only a Hobby Lobby here, and it’s not always that well stocked). Any ideas and/or coupons for online shopping? Thanks!
My answer was that JoAnn Fabrics does online shopping, and all those coupons have codes you can use on the website. I also like KnitPicks for online shopping. They’ve got great everyday prices and their yarns are super yummy. And though I haven’t ordered from them myself, I’ve heard good things about Webs too.
Are there any other places you like to shop for yarn online? Do any of them ship internationally? And what are your best tips and tricks to save money on yarn? Please share them in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, sneak peeks, and to order your own ooak moogly items – I’m taking commissions! Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and now Tumblr – come join the fun!
Leave a Reply