How do I save money on yarn? I’ll buy yarn just about anywhere, from grocery stores to the local yarn shops to online, and there are great opportunities to save at the big box craft stores. Here’s this week’s coupons and sales, to help you save money on yarn (and hooks, and needles, and all your other hobbies)!
- Michaels - Enter your zip code to get the coupons for the store closest to you. I got coupons for 40% off any one regularly priced item this week, as well as $5 of $25! Several of the Loops and Threads yarns are on sale, as well as Caron Simply Soft, Vanna's Choice, Homespun, and bunch of those new Ruffle yarns. I also noticed that Michaels has a mobile app with coupons now, so be sure to download that if you can!
- Jo-Ann Fabrics – Be sure to join their mailing list and get the app too! It’s Coupon Commotion right now – TONS of 50% off coupons! If you didn’t get the flyer, be sure to grab one of the flyers in the basket right inside the store, as those have the coupons too. If you want to make sure to have them in hand, you can print them out from the website too! I was just there yesterday and got my entire basket full of thread for half off! Sales going on now include Bernat Handicrafter, Deborah Norville Collection, and Sensations Yarns. Via email I received a several coupons for online purchases as well as still more Coupon Commotion coupons, so be sure you’re signed up on the email list as well! UPDATE: Jo-Ann has added a coupon for free shipping with a $25 online purchase, just use the code CART25 at checkout!
- Hobby Lobby – I Love This Cotton and Yarnology Knit and Crochet Tools and Notions are on sale this week, and they have the usual printable coupon for 40% off any regularly priced item. Last week I mentioned that there's an iPhone appas well - here's what one moogly fan had to say about it! Britane said:
Hey Moogly! Last time I checked, there wasn’t a Hobby Lobby app to go with my Michael’s and Joann apps. I downloaded it after seeing this post. From what I can tell, it’s a clean and organized app, and gives you an easy-to-navigate screen that lets you shop sales by department (only the two yarns you named are listed under Needle Arts, so whatever you’ve seen is accurate). I do like the front-page feature that lets you check gift card balances- I think this is unique to the HL app, since I haven’t found it on the other two.
Where Joann’s/Michael’s apps have varied coupons by the week, however, HL seems to only have their normal 40% available. Would love to see more variety from them. An interesting coupon will get me in a store!
- Herrschners – HUGE sale this week! Yarns up to 75% off, knit and crochet accessories up to 60% off, crochet and knit books up to 75% off, and more. There's a wide variety of Bernat yarns included in the sale, as well as Artful Yarns, Herrschners own brand, Premier, and a few Lion Brand selections as well.
- ACMoore – Enter your zip code to get the coupons for the store closest to you. I got a coupon for $5 off a 20 purchase, and another for 40% off one item. Sales listed include Lily Sugar 'n Cream, Red Heart Soft and Super Saver, Bernat Holiday Big Ball, Chunky and Worsted, and a "special selection of fashion yarns" that will vary by store.
Readers have been sharing some great ideas for stretching their yarn budgets! What are your best tips and tricks to save money on yarn? Please share them in the comments!