How do I save money on yarn? I’ll buy yarn just about anywhere, from grocery stores to the local yarn shops to online, and there are great opportunities to save at the big box craft stores. Here's this week's coupons and sales, to help you save money on yarn (and hooks, and needles, and...)!
- Michaels - Enter your zip code to get the coupons for the store closest to you. I got a coupon for 50% off any one regularly priced item this week! Several of the Loops and Threads yarns are on sale, as well as Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick.
- Jo-Ann Fabrics – Be sure to join their mailing list and get the app too! I just got a new flyer in the mail, and it's coupon commotion starting September 16th - TONS of 50% off coupons! If you don't get the flyer in time, be sure to check the flyers in the basket right inside the store, as you can often pick them up right there. Sales going on now include Red Heart Super Saver, Bernat Satin, Caron Simply Soft, and Lily Sugar & Cream Super Size. The current online printable is a coupon for free shipping with a $40 purchase when you shop online, and via email I received a coupon for $5 off a $25 online purchase, so be sure you're signed up on the email list as well!
- Hobby Lobby - Baby Bee Baby Yarns and Lion Brand Vanna's Choice are on sale this week, and they have the usual printable coupon for 40% off any regularly priced item! There's also an iPhone app, but I don't have an iPhone - let me know if you've checked it out and what you think!
- Herrschners – Big sale on baby yarns this week - store brand, Red Heart, and Bernat are all included!
- ACMoore – Enter your zip code to get the coupons for the store closest to you. I got a coupon for 25% off the entire purchase, one for 40% off one item, and another for 50% off one item! Sales listed include Caron One Pound, Lion Brand Pound of Love, and Lion Brand Vanna's Choice or Vanna's Choice Baby.
Last week we got two great recommendations from readers!
Rachel F. said:
I usually scour over sites clearance sections. Other people may not like certain colors or types that I do and I have saved a bundle this way. In fact that is the first spot I look at when cruising around online.
Maria LaLima said:
Another bonus from AC Moore: sign up for free for their membership and you rack up points with each purchase. 200 points = $10 certificate Score! :0)
What are your best tips and tricks to save money on yarn? Please share them in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, sneak peeks, and to order your own ooak moogly items – I’m taking commissions! Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and now Tumblr – come join the fun!
Hey Moogly! Last time I checked, there wasn't a Hobby Lobby app to go with my Michael's and Joann apps. I downloaded it after seeing this post. From what I can tell, it's a clean and organized app, and gives you an easy-to-navigate screen that lets you shop sales by department (only the two yarns you named are listed under Needle Arts, so whatever you've seen is accurate). I do like the front-page feature that lets you check gift card balances- I think this is unique to the HL app, since I haven't found it on the other two.
Where Joann's/Michael's apps have varied coupons by the week, however, HL seems to only have their normal 40% available. Would love to see more variety from them. An interesting coupon will get me in a store!
Great info, thanks so much!